Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2021, 10:24   #1

Sailproof tablet

Has anyone used this? I bought the tablet with the brightest display I could find for navigation, but it's not rugged nor waterproof (and only 500 nits). According to their site, they have a 1000 nit screen, and it's rugged / waterproof. Seems enticing, but being relatively new I'm somewhat hesitant to commit, I'm wondering if anyone has any practical experience with it?

https://sailproof.shop/product/sp08-...rugged-tablet/
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 12:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Sailproof tablet

The Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet apparently has a very bright screen. Used ones are available for $150 or so, including on ebay. I'd be tempted to explore that route, plus a case, give the cost of the Sailproof tablet.
Old 29-07-2021, 17:55   #3

I actually wound up buying a galaxy active tab pro, it was about the same price, also waterproof, has a user replaceable battery and a 600 nit screen. Not quite as bright as the Sailproof, but it's brighter than my iPad is and I never had any trouble seeing it in direct sun. Best part is because it's used by a lot of companies for outdoor operations there are tons of accessories (RAM, etc.) for it.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 07:42   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Has anyone used this? I bought the tablet with the brightest display I could find for navigation, but it's not rugged nor waterproof (and only 500 nits). According to their site, they have a 1000 nit screen, and it's rugged / waterproof. Seems enticing, but being relatively new I'm somewhat hesitant to commit, I'm wondering if anyone has any practical experience with it?

https://sailproof.shop/product/sp08-...rugged-tablet/
I bought one about three weeks ago and love it. The screen is easily readable in sunlight. The buying experience was painless and easy from the questions I asked of Jean-Michel at the company, to delivery to set up. Installed about 5 or 6 navigation apps, and they all worked the way they are supposed to. I bought the SP08 tablet which is android. They have a 10” windows based one also.

The case is ruggedly built, has a USB and HDMI receptacle, and can be used with a ROKK stand. It also has a place for cards. It works with wireless and you have the option to use as a cell phone if desired. I am not using the cellular.

I am impressed with the construction and the water resistant case. Really glad that I chose it, and will be able to use on more than just my boat. I think the MFD industry will move more and more to this type of MFD.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
Nate24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:18   #5

The first impression is very good.
I bought a sail proof tablet 10. It is expensive almost 1000€
But it is very slow,
GPS signal is not stable.
And it is not waterproof when charging. But charging is necessary because battery lifetime with Navionics is very low.
Mine got damaged while charging. Warranty was not accepted. I am very disappointed. Can not recommend it.
maxmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 07:19   #6

Boat: beneteau First 26 QR (now sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmm View Post
The first impression is very good.
I bought a sail proof tablet 10. It is expensive almost 1000€
But it is very slow,
GPS signal is not stable.
And it is not waterproof when charging. But charging is necessary because battery lifetime with Navionics is very low.
Mine got damaged while charging. Warranty was not accepted. I am very disappointed. Can not recommend it.
Sorry that you are disappointed, but we can't be responsible of the way you used it. And unfortunately the damage on the USB-c provoked a short circuit and the motherboard was dead. We offered to replace it a at price which was under the real cost of the spare part and man hour. On the attached pictures, that we sent you, you can see the condition of the USB-c port, in comparison to a new one.
For the rest, your disappointment can't push you to make false affirmation on our tablet. I can share performance benchmark that proves our tablet is as powerful as the good tablets available in the market. And our GNSS chip, which offers simultaneous access to GPS, Glonass and Galileo network, has a very good accuracy, close to one meter, and don't suffer any issue with stability. We have hundreds of professional clients, much more demanding than leisure boaters, using our tablets since more than 2 years without any complaint. It means fishers, charter companies, offshore and regatta sailors. Our tablet has just been selected, after a 3-months test, to be installed in all the sailboats of one of the most famous competition in the world (that we can't name for the moment).
Finally, regarding battery life, we have made real tests and mention this explicitly on our website. For sure Navionics has nothing to do with this, but simply a 1000 nits screen is much more energy-hungry than an usual 400 nits screen. In our tests with Navionics and AIS connection, the screen at full brightness level uses up to 90% of the global consomption.

Jean-Michel,
SailProof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMusb.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	277162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG20230606112958.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	277163  

BuenaOnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2023, 07:38   #7

We have used our Sail Proof several times now. It has been flawless, the GPS location is accurate when compared to our Furuno TZT3 with the SCX20 sat-com installed.
Nate24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail