Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 15:57   #76

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Satelite AIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
If your boat were to go off with a very loud bang one day S-AIS records may be all they have.

With simple yotreps position reporting via HF I have found it quite 'flakey' ... quite often gaps of several days when i go on the net for a looksee when I know I was sending them daily.

Re accessing the data.... my AIS has been switched off for a fortnight but I can still access this from marine traffic..
I find in Bass Strait these AIS sights are really old. Sometimes many hours old. But as SnowP is finding it's useful to follow family.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 16:24   #77

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I find in Bass Strait these AIS sights are really old. Sometimes many hours old. But as SnowP is finding it's useful to follow family.
I have just had a looksee at Bass Strait ... pretty much all terrestrial are 2 to 3 minutes. Long delay often means station has shut down after arrival etc.
Found an interesting one up by Lakes Entrance .. Florence .. 'self reporting' .... mas aqui .. Report AIS Position - AIS Ships Map | AIS Marine Traffic

Was watching a fish carrier going down Canal Tenglo a few nights ago... by eye and AIS... was pretty good ... updating every minute ..
I'll turn mine on now ..... look for 'Westerly Serenade'...will leave on for a few hours...
Old 03-07-2016, 16:28   #78

Boat: a sailing boat

I think reading this:

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: SOTDMA Class B AIS, the "new" middle way?

gives some further info related to which equipment (other than investing in Class A) might possibly be considered as the choice when and if AIS sat with B is of high importance to the owner.

Happy reading!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 17:21   #79

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
I have just had a looksee at Bass Strait ... pretty much all terrestrial are 2 to 3 minutes. Long delay often means station has shut down after arrival etc.
Found an interesting one up by Lakes Entrance .. Florence .. 'self reporting' .... mas aqui .. Report AIS Position - AIS Ships Map | AIS Marine Traffic

Was watching a fish carrier going down Canal Tenglo a few nights ago... by eye and AIS... was pretty good ... updating every minute ..
I'll turn mine on now ..... look for 'Westerly Serenade'...will leave on for a few hours...
I can see you..

Will the days ever come in the future when the public can not only find the vessel on data like this, but hone in on real time video like real time google earth boy will that get the conspiracists going.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 17:42   #80

Can't you see me waving?

The GE pic is pretty much up to date... the presence of both my boat and 'Lojan' ( due east on the outside...with a bowsprit... I'm currently babysitting their dog) puts it between late Feb and Early April.

Don't know if you can get the track on Kai and Calypso... neither has moved in many months... both have positions jumping around all over the place. I'll leave mine running a bit longer and see what it does.... I'm using an AMEC gps puck 'velcroed' to the inside of a window with ( at present) a view to the north.
Old 04-07-2016, 17:47   #81

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I waved! I must say I am a bit envious of you over there ping, what a lovely place. If you let us know nezt ine you head off down the channels I can see how well S-ais works on your boat.

The issues (as I understand it) with normal CSTDMA class B signals is that they get swamped by the much stronger and more frequent class A signals. I think the sats can handle all the class A traffic in the footprint no problems, but its only chance when a weak class B CSTDMA signal happens to transmit in a timeslot that is empty. The new SOTDMA class B units should have a much better chance of transmiting in a free time slot by reserving one in advance in the local area.

This is all theory, at this stage satellite tracking of a standard CSTDMA class B unit with a normal antenna seems viable in the south pacific. As long as you are not two worried about lag, and are happy with only a handfull of reports per day.

It would be interesting to see if it works so well in the more crowded north atlantic and asian areas.

I see big implications of this in the future. I dont think border control is going to let this technology disappear. I can see a future where AIS is required for all overseas yachts checking in. Or if tou dont have it more onerous position reports might be needed.

On the plus side they may make clearing in easier if they can verify your track.. I suppose if you are up to no good you could fudge the GPS data sent by the AIS?
Old 04-07-2016, 19:11   #82

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post

On the plus side they may make clearing in easier if they can verify your track.. I suppose if you are up to no good you could fudge the GPS data sent by the AIS?
That's off course assuming the world hates you and we are coming to steal something?

;-)

A sailing boat is too slow, too uncomfortable, etc. Bad guys just fly in / drive in nowadays. Fast, easy and proven.

I can easily imagine sailing the unit on one boat then just moving it to another, a malignant one, that is coming with and A-bomb onboard to blow up NY.

For surveillance and border control, tracking stuff via plain sat imagery seems more likely. Just look at Google Earth imagery as updated last week - you can count the hairs, where still present.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 19:29   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
That's off course assuming the world hates you and we are coming to steal something?

;-)

A sailing boat is too slow, too uncomfortable, etc. Bad guys just fly in / drive in nowadays. Fast, easy and proven.

I can easily imagine sailing the unit on one boat then just moving it to another, a malignant one, that is coming with and A-bomb onboard to blow up NY.

For surveillance and border control, tracking stuff via plain sat imagery seems more likely. Just look at Google Earth imagery as updated last week - you can count the hairs, where still present.

b.
Australia and Unzud take boat people very seriously....

You would be surprised how many boats get caught trying to bring in cocaine and stuff.

Quite a few years ago, in NZ, I was advised it is a two way trade.... Heroin to SA.... Coke back.

Tracking? OHR... in realtime

That said I think it will be a long time before port state can impose their will on flag state re AIS
Old 05-07-2016, 14:03   #84

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

IIRC, Thailand and Singapore require foreign yachts to have AIS. I have no experience with Thailand but I wouldn't try to play with Singapore police or border control forces.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 19:08   #85

Just been looking at traffic in Gulf of Aden... quite a few un-named warships on AIS and also.... ships which have... under 'destination'.. 'Armed guard aboard'.

So... I have plan that cunning you could put a fur coat on it and call it a weasel...

If transiting that area as a yacht you simply program your AIS so you are HMS Nastybastard, and for destination you enter 'we have really really big guns'.... maintaining 20 knots may be an issue.....
Old 06-07-2016, 12:37   #86

Quote:
Just been looking at traffic in Gulf of Aden... quite a few un-named warships on AIS and also.... ships which have... under 'destination'.. 'Armed guard aboard'.

So... I have plan that cunning you could put a fur coat on it and call it a weasel...

If transiting that area as a yacht you simply program your AIS so you are HMS Nastybastard, and for destination you enter 'we have really really big guns'.... maintaining 20 knots may be an issue.....
I would but you need class A to be able to set destination
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais