Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47   #1

Satellite Communications - Inmarsat FleetcBroadband

Looking at the inmarsat fleetbroadband 150/250 packages...any users out there, comments? Which of the terminals is best, sailor 150, satlink 150, or skipper 150?

Anything else I should be considering for this type of communications while cruising?
toby24b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:57   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: satellite communications - inmarsat fleetbroadband

We have Inmarsat Fleet 33 service through KVH. Our hardware is NERA (now part of KVH and a discontinued brand). You will love the system. All the hardware is pretty similar. I used to mess around with SSB propagation, time of day to broadcast, etc. Not anymore. This is more like a working tool. Data is pretty slow but it is functional almost anywhere you go in any weather. Very dependable.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 14:46   #3

Thanks, Callistov. I've read around this topic on other threads and SSB definitely not for me.
Still be grateful for any other comments about specifics as regards Satphone options, broadband options...?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03   #4

Thumbs up Re: satellite communications - inmarsat fleetbroadband

All Inmarsat equipment ever sold by KVH Industries was always made by Thrane & Thrane A/S in Denmark as OEM. In 2004, Thrane & Thrane has acquired EuroCom Industries A/S (FKA SP Radio A/S), owner of the SAILOR and SKANTI marine radio brands.
In 2007, Thrane & Thrane acquired Nera Satcom, the satellite communication division of ABA Nera in Norway.
In a consolidation of product brands (Thrane, Capsat, SAILOR, SKANTI, Nera, Saturn) all maritime products made by Thrane & Thrane are now made, sold and marketed under the original SAILOR brand.
Still, the KVH TracPhone FB150, FB250 and FB500 are identical OEM-versions of the original SAILOR 150, SAILOR 250 and SAILOR 500 FleetBroadband.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:17   #5

Boat: Privilege 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby24b View Post
Thanks, Callistov. I've read around this topic on other threads and SSB definitely not for me.
Still be grateful for any other comments about specifics as regards Satphone options, broadband options...?
I have attached a couple of brochures that will provide some useful options.

Viajante has provided some background on the companies involved, but not mentioned NSSL Ltd who are partnered with Thrane. The satphone is a good competitor for iridium, but if you want data, the FB150 is a better bet.

An alternative approach>
DeLOrme have just announced the Inreach which is basically a text device utilising the iridium net. Shipping later this year and cheaper than any alternative

See
This report
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IsatPhone Pro Brochure Low Res 05.10.pdf (338.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: pdf FleetBroadband Brochure Low Res 07.09.pdf (162.9 KB, 164 views)
Old 06-07-2011, 09:07   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to MrGregl
Re: Satellite Communications - Inmarsat FleetcBroadband

Hello toby24b
regarding your question "Which of the terminals is best, sailor 150, satlink 150, or skipper 150?", I believe that I can offer some insight.

First, I must disclose that I work for one of the only two Inmarsat licensed manufactures of FleetBroadband 150. That said, I will try to be objective in my comments. The Skipper 150 and the Satlink 150 are made by the same company (Addvalue Communications) just as the Sailor 150 and the KVH 150 are made by the same company (Thrane & Thrane). They all share the same basic features which were dictated by Inmarsat, those being capable of 150kbps of data speed with simultaneous voice and SMS messaging, each have a single connection for an additional analog phone (or cordless phone) and neither brand supports fax.

In addition to the “basics”, each manufacture has tried to differentiate itself with a few extra features. The Thrane FB150s use an IP handset and have a few additional I/O (or sensor) connections. The Addvalue & Satlink FB150s use a circuit breaker on/off switch (instead of fuses), offer a continuous NMEA 0183 GPS output and use a 3-axis antenna (which was beta tested hanging 2m off the transom of a Nauticat 40, the s/y Bremer Speck, in 15’ seas and 30+kt winds during the ’09 Marion to Bermuda race and didn’t miss a beat). The biggest additional difference is in the approximately 20% to 25% lower retail price of the Addvalue & Satlink FB150s

As for your comment “Still be grateful for any other comments about specifics as regards Satphone options, broadband options...?”, the most important advice I can offer you is to remember, whatever manufacture you should choose, FleetBroadband systems are IP systems. Basically they are no different than your cable or DSL internet modem at home, except the internet is NOT free over the satellite and these systems must be well controlled and managed in order to avoid finding yourself with a very surprising bill at the end of the month. If any members are interested then I will be happy to start a separate, generic, thread on how to keep FleetBroadband airtime costs under control regardless of what system you use.
MrGregl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGregl View Post
If any members are interested then I will be happy to start a separate, generic, thread on how to keep FleetBroadband airtime costs under control regardless of what system you use.

Yes please!

Old 06-07-2011, 09:29   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to MrGregl

Ok. I am new to this forum so I will figure out how to start a thread and get some information posted later this evening.
MrGregl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGregl View Post
Ok. I am new to this forum so I will figure out how to start a thread and get some information posted later this evening.
follow This Link which will take you to the right place. Fill out the title, and then the info, and away we go

Old 06-07-2011, 11:49   #10

Thanks Mr Gregl
Sounds as if you work for Addvalue! That said, I guessed that the price difference was in part at least due to the fact that Thrane & Thrane are so well established in this field, sponsor various round the world races, etc. so can get a premium.
Your technical info went over my head, but the main thing is that the product works OK, and I'll take your word on that.
Look forward to seeing thread on cost control, thanks again.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:14   #11

Boat: Vagabond 42

I'll second Mr. Gregl's comments about cost. The first weekend I got my new sat system installed I was in St Martin. I sent some emails and surfed around on the internet... Then I flew home to Texas. A couple of days later my provided called and told me what I had spent, something like $700. They were very understanding and gave me a one time discount and made it quite clear that the discount would not be repeated. Now I write my emails, que them up and then connect to the satellite. It uploads and then downloads. If I am checking weather or looking for a parts manual or something on the internet, I get what I need and DISCONNECT FROM THE SATELLITE! It isn't the most inexpensive form of communications but like I said earlier, it works all the time,everytime.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2011, 02:05   #12

Greg, like to know how one can control or limit the data usage for sending and receiving emails. I am exploring with several email clients to limit the download for unwanted emails but so far there is no setting in those I have tried to control it.
Bob Teoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 15:17   #13

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Hi,
My first post.
The InReach product is exactly what I was looking for to do short comms when offshore. I’m setting up for the run to the S Pac. I need weather and was looking at sat phone (for all comms but the InReach will handle The “hi how you doins” for me) that and me and SSB/Ham have a long and well earned hated of each other I guess a data package will give me the weather info I need.
I only ever need 2-3 pages once a day or every second day when nothing is happening, it was the constant battle with the radio and weather faxes that led me to sell the thing when I got back up north. What would be the best package??
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
communications, satellite