Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 17:24   #1
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac
SEA 2250 HF

My boat came with a SEA 225 HF radio, 2250 Control Head, and Antenna Tuner. From what little I know about the previous owner, I doubt the radio was used very much. The unit would power up but I was not getting any reception. The manufacturer is located in Mount Lake Terrace, WA (a reasonable drive for me) and will do a complete diagnostic of all the equipment if I bring the units to them for about $250 that can be applied to any repair. I have ZERO experience with marine HF radios and would like input from other forum members who are familiar with this specific equipment. I can't find any reviews or opinions on the Internet as to the quality and reliability of this equipment. There are numerous boats for sale on the Internet with this equipment aboard. Is it worth putting money into this hardware...I would still have to get the Pactor email set up. As a benchmark SEATECH SYSTEMS (TX) was at the Seattle Boat Show advertising a complete HF communications package for $3649. Yes, a new radio package would be nice but I have other places I could put that money into.

Thanks. I look forward to your assistance.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ Mike
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:39   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: SEA 2250 HF

My first guess is that the problem is the antenna system, not the radio itself. I would not put $250 into that before checking out the antenna and tuner.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 18:55   #3

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: SEA 2250 HF

+10 for what Jedi said!! always ck these first! Our daughter has this same radio on her sloop, and says she really likes it ! other then that I know nothing about them, all ive ever had was either a ICOM, or a halicrafter LOL