Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 00:22   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Seatalk network dead

Hey guys,

I have a SeaTalk1 network (standard Raymarine setup, ST6002, ST60+) connected to a STng adapter to an Raymarine E7.

Yesterday, the autopilot kept knocking out based on losing the heading. It was also sometimes flash “Seatalk Network Failure”.

Today, there is no power to the instrumentation pod.

I am new to this boat but from what I read, I am being pointed towards checking out the AP unit where possibly the seatalk network is powered? Would that be correct? Anything I can test?

I am getting no data to the E7.
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:20   #2

Re: Seatalk network dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post
Hey guys,

I have a SeaTalk1 network (standard Raymarine setup, ST6002, ST60+) connected to a STng adapter to an Raymarine E7.

Yesterday, the autopilot kept knocking out based on losing the heading. It was also sometimes flash “Seatalk Network Failure”.

Today, there is no power to the instrumentation pod.

I am new to this boat but from what I read, I am being pointed towards checking out the AP unit where possibly the seatalk network is powered? Would that be correct? Anything I can test?

I am getting no data to the E7.

Sorry, can’t edit.

So I located the power issue with a screw through a seatalk cable [emoji849] which in turn caused a 5A fuse to go on the Smartpilot.

Removed cable (removed Wind Tri-Data till I can get a new cable) and changed fuse, power is back!

Now I have three issues:
- No data on E7
- occasionally I get a “seatalk failure” message on the AP
- still got “heading” failures on the AP/E7 before I stupidly put screw through ST cable
Old 10-07-2019, 03:37   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

It would help to know how your various components are connected. A drawing or sketch showing each item and how it is connected to its neighbors would help.

The heading device may be connected to the AP computer. It may have nothing at all to do with Seatalk. Try to locate the heading sensor and determine how it is connected to what device. The heading sensor will usually be found somewhere near the middle of the boat but really could be anywhere. It will often have a label near by warning not to put magnets or steel close by. Mine is located under a cabin sole floorboard. It could be anywhere.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:45   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
It would help to know how your various components are connected. A drawing or sketch showing each item and how it is connected to its neighbors would help.

The heading device may be connected to the AP computer. It may have nothing at all to do with Seatalk. Try to locate the heading sensor and determine how it is connected to what device. The heading sensor will usually be found somewhere near the middle of the boat but really could be anywhere. It will often have a label near by warning not to put magnets or steel close by. Mine is located under a cabin sole floorboard. It could be anywhere.

That’s good to know, I’ll go looking for it.

The unit keeps blowing the 5a fuse so I’m currently reconnecting the system bit by bit to see what is blowing the fuse.

The heading issue as you say might be an isolated/secondary issue.

Tags
seatalk