Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2020, 18:03   #1

Boat: Helmsman 43 Trawler
Secondary phone line

I recently retired so my wife and I are taking longer trips. I also do solo runs. I was thinking if my phone failed or fell overboard a secondary device for email, phone, and voice would be good.

Note: this is for close to shore communication. Longer term we are looking at the KVH, V3 for more remote use.

I therefore got an IPad with the WiFi/cellular and activated the ATT data plan today for $20 per month as we are on their unlimited data plan for our primary devices.

It appears the iPad also has unlimited data and 30Gb of hot spot which is better than what I was expecting.

A few questions:

I just loaded the Google Voice App to make phone calls. Anyone else use it? Does it work well?

Is my data quote correct? I couldn’t find much on the web, so I spoke to customer service in the Philippines and that is what they quoted me.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Sdpaddler50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone