Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2016, 17:40   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Security systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
I just installed a Boat Command (https://boatcommand.com/) system on my boat about 3-4 weeks ago. It's a cellular based monitoring system. I do believe there is an "international" version available.

Security is one of the core functions of the system though I'm not 100% sure it could do all of the things you are hoping for.

For me the "security system" consists of a reed switch on the companionway hatch. If/when it opens I get a text message and an email within 30 seconds.

There are motion detectors available as well but I have not installed one. It should be noted that while multiples of the security detectors (reed switch or motion) can be used they are paralleled on the same circuit to the device.

The device does have the capability for you to install three different "relay devices" that I believe can be used to throw a switch. With that capability you could probably manually throw a siren or various lights on/off when you get an security alert.
Very pleased with Boat Command. I've been using it almost a year.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2016, 17:40   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
The stuff looks too expensive and worse yet you can't build it yourself. Having to worry about the deck expanding etc, takes it out of the realm of a do it your self type project.
Are laser beams an option?
You'd have to really be into tinkering to develop the algorithms to avoid false positives. Not rocket science.

There are lots of motion sensors available for cheap. The problem is they stop getting used after too many false alarms.
Old 20-08-2016, 20:58   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
See post #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
I don't seem to see any prices anywhere. Any idea of the pressure sensor price?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I don't seem to see any prices anywhere. Any idea of the pressure sensor price?
The strain gauge with epoxy mount is probably about $15 or so from the boat alarm vendor. If you search strain gauges you can find the parts cheaper. The real cost is in the monitor, not the strain gauges .
Old 21-08-2016, 09:24   #20

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I believe 69 each. Look at the ordering tab and the prices are at the bottom.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 22:34   #21

Hi,

I have been reading your posts about Security / Alarm systems with interest.

All good of course and some interesting questions.

I have been thinking about this myself for a while now. You have all invested lots of money purchasing your boats and then installing equipment. So your total investment is no small change. With that said I would think most would agree that a system that can keep your investment relatively safe is worth the money. I have researched a few options and most have almost everything that one would like to have.

With that been said I was wondering if there is a need (people on this forum would be interested) in a unit that you can install yourself. If there is a need My question is what features / options would you all like to have in a unit. I will list a few below as an example. This would be based on a 3G Modem, so a cell phone signal would be required.

1) temperature (cabin, engine compartment)
2) motion sensor, siren and light
3) SMS Text messages
4) turn on lights when returning to the boat at night.
5) turn on the aircon before returning to the boat

That is a few ideas I have. Feel free to email me with your ideas.

Regards
Nadd
Nadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:50   #22

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

I made a decision on flagship marine. In the process of installing. I agree with your list although the motion detector gives false alarms. Vendor recommended not using them, also cruisers here find they don't work well in this environment. I am impressed with the deck sensors, $69US each. Vendor recommended 1, I put in two. Above on the deck and below. You get the parts you order, plans to instal, and he is around by email for questions. The hardest thing is running the wires. I'm not an electrician, once in it makes total sense, had a few minor problems installing, all were operator error. Light flashing to install yet to go on when the system is activated.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:58   #23

Hi Landonshaw,

Glad you found a system you happy with.

I guess you correct with the PIR not suitable for the environment.
The system you have is it a 3G modem that sends you text messages if an alarm is triggered?

Nadd
Nadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:01   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadd View Post
...... You have all invested lots of money purchasing your boats and then installing equipment. So your total investment is no small change. With that said I would think most would agree that a system that can keep your investment relatively safe is worth the money. I have researched a few options and most have almost everything that one would like to have.

With that been said I was wondering if there is a need (people on this forum would be interested) in a unit that you can install yourself. ....
I'm a full time cruiser and use the alarm system to help improve safety for the crew. Stuff is only stuff and can be replaced. Bodies only get one chance.

I want a system that is easy to use while we are onboard at night and has essentially zero false alarms.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11   #25

Quote:

I want a system that is easy to use while we are onboard at night and has essentially zero false alarms.
I would like one too! Have you found a system that never gives a false alarm? If so, I'd love to see the system. Could you please provide a link?

Thanks!!!!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:43   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabcake View Post
I would like one too! Have you found a system that never gives a false alarm? If so, I'd love to see the system. Could you please provide a link?

Thanks!!!!
Yes, look at the reference I gave in post #2 in this thread.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:47   #27

Quote:
Yes, look at the reference I gave in post #2 in this thread.
MANY TNX!
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:00   #28

Boat: Privilege 435

I have two systems on my boat.

I have a Dakota Alert DCMA 2500 ($120). This is a motion detector located in the cockpit which wirelessly sends a signal to the controller. The controller is 12vDC so hooked straight up to my panel inside the boat. When someone enters the cockpit and a signal is sent to the base station, it chimes and activates a 12v relay which I have hooked up to a voice module. The voice module not-so-politely asks people to leave the boat. If the person ignores this loud alert and forces opens the cabin door the second alarm kicks in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2500.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	132293

You don't really need the first system.

The second system is a basic Clifford car alarm (all of which are 12v). This is hooked up to a door switch and if activated, wakes the whole neighborhood up with alarms and flashing lights fitted via a relay to the boat lights and sirens. These systems are all DIY installations and fairly straightforward if you have a basic understanding of 12v systems. As this alarm is not reliant on movement, I have never had a false alarm (except for coming home drunk and forgetting to deactivate). Most simple car alarms can be hooked up to the press-button door switches that you can salvage from any scrap car. A $5 relay can then be hooked up to the output alarm signal if you want to hook the alarm up to higher amp systems like your boats horns and lights.

In case anyone thinks they now know my security system, I also have a remote camera which sends video and captures images. A little bit OTT perhaps, but I am equipping my boat for a circumnavigation and the goal is to simply make my boat less desirable to thieves than the next boat around the bend.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security