Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 18:19   #1

Boat: 1983 COMPASS 29'
Send a message via Skype™ to xsteel
SERIAL TO ETHERNET FOR AIS

I would like to transmit other boats & myself to www.marinetraffic.com to show my yacht Ophelia on their web site while sailing up the east coast of Australia. I currently transmit the code via my laptop using AISDispatcher 1.4. I am in Pittwater currently & if I don't transmit, I & others cannot be seen on Marinetraffic. Seems to be a black spot. as are other areas south of Sydney.
I have GME AST120 transceiver installed which has a USB cable with male end. I am after a serial to ethernet convertor but also a USB to serial switch. I don't know too much about the system but it appears the Ethernet thingmebob connects to my Telstra 4G modem & sends out the info to a specific IP address. Currently I have the\laptop sending to Marinetraffic & AISHUB. There is info on Marinetraffic & VK2GEL but all seem to use serial from AIS transceiver. The laptop creates a virtual serial port. I want to transmit when the laptop is off.
Does anyone use this system & can advise what they use with a USB connection.
xsteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 16:38   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: SERIAL TO ETHERNET FOR AIS

A small raspberry pi with openplotter installed will do the job nicely and cost next to nothing.Sailing with free hardware | Sailoog
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsteel View Post
I would like to transmit other boats & myself to www.marinetraffic.com to show my yacht Ophelia on their web site while sailing up the east coast of Australia. I currently transmit the code via my laptop using AISDispatcher 1.4. I am in Pittwater currently & if I don't transmit, I & others cannot be seen on Marinetraffic. Seems to be a black spot. as are other areas south of Sydney.
I have GME AST120 transceiver installed which has a USB cable with male end. I am after a serial to ethernet convertor but also a USB to serial switch. I don't know too much about the system but it appears the Ethernet thingmebob connects to my Telstra 4G modem & sends out the info to a specific IP address. Currently I have the\laptop sending to Marinetraffic & AISHUB. There is info on Marinetraffic & VK2GEL but all seem to use serial from AIS transceiver. The laptop creates a virtual serial port. I want to transmit when the laptop is off.
Does anyone use this system & can advise what they use with a USB connection.
petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, serial