Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2007, 14:14   #1

Boat: Monk Jr 38 Martha Rose
Shakespeare TV antennas

Does any one know if the omnidirectional amplified Shakespeare TV antennas kike the 2020 or the 2030 will work with digital broadcast and Hi Def TV? Dino
dinocarmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 02:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As far as I know, all UHF antennas are capable of receiving both Analog (NTSC) and Digital (ATSC) TV signals. HDTV signals are transmitted in the same UHF/VHF frequency range as analog.

Omni-Directional antennas are generally fairly low gain*, but if you are in a city and surrounded by unobstructed stations, they might be adequate.
Omni’ antennas can generally be used at small to medium distances from the broadcaster, provided that there are no big reflective "ghost" producing structures near your location. In more remote areas directional tv antennas should be used.

* Gain is a measure (in dB or dBi) of how much signal the antenna will collect.

You should be able to get specific advice from the manufacturer:
SHAKESPEARE ELECTRONIC PRODUCTS GROUP
Telephone: 803-227-1590
Fax: 803-419-3099
Email: Techsupport@shakespeare-ce.com <Techsupport@shakespeare-ce.com>

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 07:10   #3

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
As far as I know, all UHF antennas are capable of receiving both Analog (NTSC) and Digital (ATSC) TV signals. HDTV signals are transmitted in the same UHF/VHF frequency range as analog.
This is correct, though ATSC isn't quite as forgiving as an analog signal. As long as the signal is strong enough, digital TV is great, but when the signal gets marginal, instead of getting a snowy and noisy picture you just get nothing.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 07:48   #4

Boat: Gemini Cat Hull #100
Been there done that. I installed the high end Shake on my mast below the Radar. The box advertised that it picked up all types of channels. I was not pleased.

I have one of those cards for my computer that picks up signals like crazy. I also installed the Shakespeare TV antennas. My signal is 100% better using the little 3 inch antenna that came with the card. Perhaps it is different if I ran it through a regular TV.
I was able to pick up 20+ channels in Tampa area, however the further south I went the fewer channels until I went to Mexico where I was able to pick up several channels.... Still no weather though
Ativa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 01:57   #5

Boat: Leopard 38 Cat "Alesto 2"
The Shakespeare antenna is really all that is available. It works well, sometimes has trouble with very strong stations overloading the amplifier, causing "image" stations. Had another on my last boat for 4 cruising seasons, so it is reliable. Digital antenna is basically the same as an analog antenna. I highly recommend you get a digital TV for improved harbor reception and larger variety of stations. Each PBS station is usually 4 program feeds, other networks are usually 2.
leehaefele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:26   #6

Glomex

Quote:
Originally Posted by leehaefele View Post
The Shakespeare antenna is really all that is available.
We have a Glomex 9125 10" masthead antenna. Very small and light and works well. Has a 12V adjustable signal booster included that draws about 1/10 of an amp so very economical of battery and you can turn it down for strong signals. Glomex website might tell you more.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2007, 07:38   #7

I've got one of the Shakespeare ones on a radar post on the stern. It works really well here in San Diego. I get all the radio stations I want, a bunch of TV stations, and several of them in digital. That's what I was most suprised about to be honest: the digital stations come in crystal clear.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna