Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2023, 08:32   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel
shallow water depth transducers or heads or hacks?

Long story short, is there a transducer depth head combo that will work in really really shallow water? I have a flat bottom and want to be able to dry my boat out (it was designed for this) but the minimum depth on my sounder is 2.6 ft. I can see how this isn't a big deal on a normal sailboat with a keel, but I don't have one.

I found this out while I was doing some maintenance on my instruments and when I went to test my depth sensor (ancient ST50 and original airmar P19) just for function. I was dismayed to find out that it was stuck at 2.6ft/0.8M. Thinking it was busted I tried everything including constructing an empty and then water filled tube. The depth flickered a couple of times to 2.5ft but that was it.

This may just be a matter of bypassing the ST50 and using another solution. I don't have an o-scope hand and really don't feel like hacking something together if an already off the shelf option exists. Also don't exactly mind trading out the transducer but its a large job with the stainless plug it was built into being made one with the hull after 25 years of "it just works".

Thanks.
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 10:03   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: shallow water depth transducers or heads or hacks?

I will Follow. Having multihulls, I have noticed this many times. But it may matter less than you think. Even dinghies have to be very careful. Kayaks are OK.

• You can't sail in less than 2.6 feet. Not enough water for the foils to grip.
  • High risk of grounding the motor. Bumps and snags make it less. Even a small outboard is nervous in under 30". You rev way down under 30" if you are smart.
  • A boat hook or paddle works fine. Mostly you can see the bottom, even in brown water areas.
  • Tide becomes a very big factor if you stop for long.
This is only knee-deep. I dock in water like that, and I have to pull the board up.
Old 23-12-2023, 10:06   #3

The problem is the pulse length of the sonar is finite, and the transducer can not listen AND send at the same time.

This is a rather unusual problem, you might have to go to a chirp sonar, they MIGHT let you get around this. I would call Airmar. They make all the transducers and see if they have a solution for you.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2023, 02:08   #4

Boat: Imexus 28

Great info. I had wondered why both my sounder and fishfinder struggled in the really skinny water we often explore.
We sail and motor a lot in exceptionally shallow water and I had noticed losing all signal in very shallow water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	284670  
Grith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, head, transducer, water