Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 16:22   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
So just to bring me up to speed I'm going to get how many min. of uncompressed SD tape transfer in avi mode?
It vary's but about 200MB per minute for uncompessed SD footage and about 1 gig a minute for uncompressed HD footage.

For a cruiser's home videos it's probably ok to compress them to get more minutes per gig. If your doing a pro project then it needs to remain uncompressed.

Lots of cameras have a compression codec built in like AVCHD that takes up a lot less space but you need a high horsepower computer to edit it unless you convert it to avi then your back at about 1 gig per minute for HD.

Look at the bright side, you'll tend to set up your shots properly instead of wasting tape and just shooting anything kinda like the old days when I never took a bad pic on film because it was expensive and now I have a digital camera full of crappy pics.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 17:04   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
It vary's but about 200MB per minute for uncompessed SD footage and about 1 gig a minute for uncompressed HD footage.

For a cruiser's home videos it's probably ok to compress them to get more minutes per gig. If your doing a pro project then it needs to remain uncompressed.
Quotes seem low. As an example, 8 bit UYVY uncompressed 1920x1080p50 (probably worst case).

Each pixel has 8 bits luminance data (Y) and 8 bits chrominance (U or V) ie 2 bytes.

2 * 1920 * 1080 *50 = 207 MBps

= 12 GB per min

plus headers etc.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 17:15   #48

Yea, st599 is correct, I was quoting 1 gig a minute for HD from my uses of DVCPRO HD (1080 30p), DVCPRO is a compression codec applied in camera. Doubt anyone here will be capturing uncompressed straight out of the camera, that is something for high end broadcast.

There are some lossless compression codecs like Avid DNxHD that you can download for free and use to save space, Apple has one called ProRes, I'm just not sure if they can be edited on other editing software besides Avid or Final Cut Pro. You'll have to google that one, I edit on Avid for pro stuff and a program called Edius 5 for fast simple little home movies.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:34   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Yea, st599 is correct, I was quoting 1 gig a minute for HD from my uses of DVCPRO HD (1080 30p), DVCPRO is a compression codec applied in camera. Doubt anyone here will be capturing uncompressed straight out of the camera, that is something for high end broadcast.

There are some lossless compression codecs like Avid DNxHD that you can download for free and use to save space, Apple has one called ProRes, I'm just not sure if they can be edited on other editing software besides Avid or Final Cut Pro. You'll have to google that one, I edit on Avid for pro stuff and a program called Edius 5 for fast simple little home movies.

Agreed, capture will likely to be in a lossy compressed format probably concatenated with other lossy transcodes.
st599 is offline   Reply With Quote