Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 12:35   #16

Re: Sim Card For Router...not phone

Not so, a router with a sim is a mobile device, you are making a nonexistent distinction between your router and a mobile phone, most of which can also act as a router if you want. (Androids do anyway). Data only sim are available from most European retailers, check with the supplier about roaming between countries, should not be a problem within the EU but the UK will need a local purchase.
MoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:40   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

In the Bahamas, we just popped a regular "phone" SIM into one of our phones for a couple minutes, did the activation, then moved it to the router. I'd almost bet you can do the same in Europe.

You might call Mr.SimCard or check out the FAQs on their website for info on this -- and you might be able to get the SIMs before you go that way.
Old 19-04-2022, 12:46   #18

Do you have the router? It seems unclear from the initial post.

We haven't had problems with dropping the internet if we get a call but even that is easily solved by getting a cheap $25 burner phone to act as a router.

As far as plans, with a couple exceptions (Poland being one...crazy cheap so they got an exception), cell plans in Europe generally include roaming for most of western europe, so you don't need to swap sim cards every time you hit a new country.

Cell service including generous data allotments are dirt cheap compared to the USA.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:47   #19

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
In the Bahamas, we just popped a regular "phone" SIM into one of our phones for a couple minutes, did the activation, then moved it to the router. I'd almost bet you can do the same in Europe.

You might call Mr.SimCard or check out the FAQs on their website for info on this -- and you might be able to get the SIMs before you go that way.
This: some cards require activation on a phone or top up on a phone. Once done you can usually use them in most devices.
Flatswing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 12:55   #20

Yes we have the router already. Thank you for the tips... the router works off an external antenna, which helps since we have a steel boat and coverage inside is not as good as outside the boat. It is just real nice to have a continuous service for laptops etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Do you have the router? It seems unclear from the initial post.

We haven't had problems with dropping the internet if we get a call but even that is easily solved by getting a cheap $25 burner phone to act as a router.

As far as plans, with a couple exceptions (Poland being one...crazy cheap so they got an exception), cell plans in Europe generally include roaming for most of western europe, so you don't need to swap sim cards every time you hit a new country.

Cell service including generous data allotments are dirt cheap compared to the USA.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 15:57   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
What I am finding is that everyone is selling these wifi cellular router devices but the information on how to get a SIM for them is limited. The dealers of the hardware often offer some very expensive options ($150/month) for 50GB plans. All the internet searches for data only SIMS seem to be for mobile phone only.

There is no difference. The SIM doesn't know whether it is plugged into a router or a phone. Just get a standard 4G SIM with the best data plan you can find and ignore the fact that it also works in a phone.
(Essentially, operators that offer "data SIMS", just bar the SIM on their network from making/receiving voice/text.)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 16:28   #22
DIJ

Boat: Southerly 115

For the U.K. get a GIFFGAFF (Google them) data only SIM (if that’s what you want and not a standard voice and data version which would work fine). I spend a lot of time in mainland Europe and the same SIM works there, roaming via other service providers but on same contract which you can renew monthly, though only 90 days roaming outside U.K. in one stretch allowed. You need a U.K. address to send the SIM to though. Know anybody there?
DIJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 16:51   #23

(Essentially, operators that offer "data SIMS", just bar the SIM on their network from making/receiving voice/text.)[/QUOTE]

Beware of this. I got a TIM data sim in Italy for a tablet and TIM canceled it with no refund for violating terms of service by making a VOIP call.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 17:18   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danm1 View Post
(Essentially, operators that offer "data SIMS", just bar the SIM on their network from making/receiving voice/text.)
Beware of this. I got a TIM data sim in Italy for a tablet and TIM canceled it with no refund for violating terms of service by making a VOIP call.[/QUOTE]

Interesting, does that mean you can't use any apps like Imo, Zoom etc with their data only plans?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 19:01   #25

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

We use the Glomex system on ocean jedi when in europe. we buy a local data sim card, have the store remove the pin, and activate it before plugging it into the Glomex. The Glomex we have requires you to open it up to pop the sim in. We had a lot of connectivity issues with apn as we moved from country to country, but Glomex technical support was really patient with us and helped solve the problem with upgraded Glomex firmwear. We now get sms capacity as well as data, which means we should be able to reload the sim without taking down the Glomex and physically changing sims. So far, we used the same local sims from vodafone in greece, italy, portugal, and spain- but not outside the EU. the local phone compnies will give you data a various rates per GB, for various time frames, but no "plans" since we are not EU residents.

Frankly, i waiting for Starlink to become available for international roaming because it has no data caps, and it should work far out to sea instead of just in a marina or within a few miles of a cell phone tower.
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 19:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boat Galley View Post
I thought earlier about making a reply to this effect, but I did in fact once buy a SIM from a French provider which prohibited tethering - I could use the internet on my phone with the SIM in it, but pages wouldn't load on my laptop when I enabled wifi sharing (which is how I normally use local SIMs).

I'm presently in Portugal using a €30/month NOS data SIM. It also receives calls and SMS messages, which is handy, but I don't think it can send them.

As always, use the SIM card wiki: https://prepaid-data-sim-card.fandom..._by_continent:
KompetentKrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 20:04   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Beware of this. I got a TIM data sim in Italy for a tablet and TIM canceled it with no refund for violating terms of service by making a VOIP call.

Interesting, does that mean you can't use any apps like Imo, Zoom etc with their data only plans?[/QUOTE]

I imagine different companies have different terms and that they change frequently. You would probably have to verify with each carrier.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 01:12   #28

It's quite simple you can buy a pay as you go sim in any EU country and can use it thoughout the EU typically supermarkets sell the good deals and the card will go into a 4G router just make sure there are no restrictions on the card for use in a router (there usually isn't) and you can roam thoughout the EU, UK is now out of the EU so data may be chargeable buy some of the EU sim cards. Some UK companys are now charging for Data roaming used in the EU so be cautious of UK simms. (smarty & plusnet are ok still) Guernsey and Jersey are unique and virtually every phone provider will charge for data or calls used there
Jackoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 09:17   #29
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Firstly nothing in the uk will now roam simply in the EU, as the providers have all but eschewed the roaming rules for contracts taken out after Dec 2020

These days most Sims will work in cellular routers anyway. My Vodafone ones will.

For example in Ireland 25 euros a months gets you unlimited data , speed limited to 10 mbs , when you roam the speed limit isn’t enforced , roaming under EU rules is essentially unlimited time wise ( I’m in Greece 6 months under my EU roaming ) An Irish sim will also work in the uk under a local agreement.

You will need an Irish address, this is the case in most European countries , most places take the marina as an address ( bring your contract )

You can buy Europe wide sims , pricey for large data volumes

Currently I put about 350 Gb a month through my Vodafone 4G sim.
Old 20-04-2022, 09:27   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danm1 View Post
Beware of this. I got a TIM data sim in Italy for a tablet and TIM canceled it with no refund for violating terms of service by making a VOIP call.[/QUOTE]

What VOIP method were you using?

We've used TIM for skype and facebook messenger calls with no issues.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phone, route