Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2022, 09:33   #31

Re: Sim Card For Router...not phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You will need an Irish address, this is the case in most European countries , most places take the marina as an address ( bring your contract )
Usually, most EU countries, you need a passport to get a SIM.

Haven't been asked for an address but maybe they just put in a dummy address and didn't tell us but I can't recall ever providing one.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2022, 10:40   #32
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Usually, most EU countries, you need a passport to get a SIM.

Haven't been asked for an address but maybe they just put in a dummy address and didn't tell us but I can't recall ever providing one.

Certainly here in Greece they asked for an “ address “. In Ireland you must provide proof of such an address.
Old 20-04-2022, 11:17   #33

Quote:
Certainly here in Greece they asked for an “ address “. In Ireland you must provide proof of such an address.
It was 3yrs ago but I remember getting one in the Athens airport and they didn't ask for an address. Maybe the rules have changed.

Of course, you could always give them the marina or hotel (where ever you are staying). I don't think anyone really cares.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 06:47   #34

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

I am from Europe, my fone works "parallel", but I do know others where the line is cut. Maybe you get what you pay. And yes, I always used my phone as hotspot on board and still have internet when on land ;-) something more, there is an EU-regulation, whenever someone is in another country he still pays the home-tarif. Better check where to buy and mainly use the sim. And yes, there is a time limit against abuse, but that takes months
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:06   #35

Talking Re: Sim Card For Router...not phone

The maker of my router has recommended a full service SIM dealer which is quite a bit more expensive than a cheap card but it is guaranteed to work and has a one month contract that I can purchase and have in advance of arriving. Then we can hunt around for the local deals. Even though everyone says a SIM is a SIM, the companies all say they can set limits on the card and the systems are smart enough to tell that you are just using for DATA side. I also pre-purchased a Vodafone (UK), Google Fi (USA) cards that where shipped from Amazon, but those must be loaded up from inside a phone in their home countries. The Google Fi I will load before leaving USA and The Vodafone in the UK when we get there later in the cruise

The cheap card/data rates have a lot of restriction and hassle factor. The expensive DATA only SIMS remove all that hassle, can be set for auto recharge etc and can stay in the router all the time. These value added bundlers of cell data have to get paid for their service. Even if I only got $1/hour for all my research time into this , I could have paid for the 200 Euro 50 GB full service data card.
EdenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 07:46   #36

It seems all the EU countries have cheap data only SIMs. You could also try Three Mobile in the UK.
mojoman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 08:04   #37
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman2 View Post
It seems all the EU countries have cheap data only SIMs. You could also try Three Mobile in the UK.

I have unlimited data anywhere in the EU for € 30 a month plus unlimited calls and texts

Given I put 350 Gb this month , that’s not bad. !!
Old 25-04-2022, 08:14   #38

Quote:
I have unlimited data anywhere in the EU for € 30 a month plus unlimited calls and texts

Given I put 350 Gb this month , that’s not bad. !!
Which provider are you using? The issue is how to get the SIM (mailing address) and being in the proper country to have the card activated.
Old 25-04-2022, 08:19   #39
Nearly an old salt

Sim Card For Router...not phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdenRose View Post
Which provider are you using? The issue is how to get the SIM (mailing address) and being in the proper country to have the card activated.

Yup. That’s the issue. I’m on Vodafone Red unlimited bill pay SIM , as I live in an EU country I get the same plan features in any other EU country.
Old 25-04-2022, 10:25   #40

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
We had a similar issue in France and explained that we are on a boat and they were happy to sell us a card with the local boatyard address....
As it was a prepaid card that was no issue.
Old 25-04-2022, 10:55   #41

Boat: Beneteau 423

I am reading this thread in Turkey (not on the EU) using a £40 Android phone as the hotspot. You can get a full signal from it anywhere on the boat. What is the added value of a router?
In Turkey the phone itself is registered with the passport of the foreigner, and the sim won't work in another phone. So s router here might be difficult. You also have yo set up APNs and stuff. Not sure how that is done on a router.
ColIn Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 11:09   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColIn Ferguson View Post
I am reading this thread in Turkey (not on the EU) using a £40 Android phone as the hotspot. You can get a full signal from it anywhere on the boat. What is the added value of a router?
In Turkey the phone itself is registered with the passport of the foreigner, and the sim won't work in another phone. So s router here might be difficult. You also have yo set up APNs and stuff. Not sure how that is done on a router.
Although there are many cheaper workarounds, a router has several advantages...antenna outside (we are steel boat) and one wifi signal onboard that has both /internet combined with NMEA data from instruments. This allows an iPad or laptop to use internet and data without switching one off for the other. The routers also switch automatically to best or cheapest signal (you program them) so they use marina wifi when available over cell signal. All around hassle free. We don't have one, but Raymarine now has a router, antenna combo that uses marina wifi or cell SIM and integrates all the Raymarine data for use on iPad apps or computers. All in a easy to use system. We would upgrade to that if our router device gives up.
Old 26-04-2022, 07:13   #43

In search of a true Data SIM that can be charged online without moving SIM around from phone to router we are going to try the "Big Data Europe Sim" from e3s.com which has good rates on their pay as you go plan with free suspension options when you leave the boat. There is no minimum each month but there is a sizeable refundable deposit to get pay as you go account.
Old 26-04-2022, 07:57   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
In search of a true Data SIM that can be charged online without moving SIM around from phone to router we are going to try the "Big Data Europe Sim" from e3s.com which has good rates on their pay as you go plan with free suspension options when you leave the boat. There is no minimum each month but there is a sizeable refundable deposit to get pay as you go account.
€4.50 per gb is at least 10x more expensive than what you'll pay with local SIM cards. If you only use a gigabyte a month, then maybe it doesn't matter, but with local sim cards you will be just like at home, stream movies, do what you like.

In most countries you get the SIM card free or nearly free, and truly unlimited data is usually €20 to €25. Or 20 to 30 gb for €10 or €15. I have unlimited 5g data good in all Nordic and Baltic countries, and 20gb per month in any other EU countries, for €25 per month.

Nearly all data sim cards in Northern Europe can be used in any kind of device.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2022, 08:05   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
€4.50 per gb is at least 10x more expensive than what you'll pay with local SIM cards. If you only use a gigabyte a month, then maybe it doesn't matter, but with local sim cards you will be just like at home, stream movies, do what you like.

In most countries you get the SIM card free or nearly free, and truly unlimited data is usually €20 to €25. Or 20 to 30 gb for €10 or €15. I have unlimited 5g data good in all Nordic and Baltic countries, and 20gb per month in any other EU countries, for €25 per month.

Nearly all data sim cards in Northern Europe can be used in any kind of device.
The rate on the contract is not as you listed...1.95 Euro/GB is what we are signing up for. Just to get a card in the machine to get us going. Once in Denmark we will probably try out Lyca mobile.

Tags
phone, route