Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2016, 17:25   #1

Simrad AI50 AIS keypad problem

The keypad on my Simrad AI50 AIS-B isn't working. Cursor and zoom keys work, but the other buttons are almost useless. The power button works to turn it on but not off. The "home" key sometimes works. I'm guessing that this is a hardware problem and complicated (or practically impossible) to fix, but hope springs eternal.

Has anyone experienced this, and if so how did you fix it (if you did)?

P.S. The keypad is not locked (there's a function to do this, which ironically I cannot access without working keys). I have written to Simrad/Navico. No reply.
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 17:40   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Simrad AI50 AIS keypad problem

Ring the Navico support centre. Numbers for your region are here Simrad Marine Electronics

By the way - IIRC the AI50 is old and does not display any of the newer AIS devices, like SARTS, ATON etc. My advice would be replace it...
Old 04-02-2016, 18:24   #3

Re: Simrad AI50 AIS keypad problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neptune's Gear View Post
Ring the Navico support centre. Numbers for your region are here Simrad Marine Electronics

By the way - IIRC the AI50 is old and does not display any of the newer AIS devices, like SARTS, ATON etc. My advice would be replace it...
Alas, I'm in a country that speaks a foreign language, so I cannot read the regional website let alone find a number or talk to someone if I did find it. I wish they'd make things simple and just answer email.

I'm confused by your comment (and I don't know what "IIRC" means) because the Simrad websites still show the AI50 listed and say nothing about it being "old." Here's their sales pitch: "Reduce the risk of collision with this standalone or fully integrated AIS solution featuring a 4-inch colour display. Essential for navigating in today's busy shipping lanes and congested harbours." Are you saying that they are referring to shipping lanes from history?

I'm getting to be quite frustrated with Navico, to be honest. I know that everyone has different experiences, but I have lots of Navico electronics (Simrad and B&G) with problems and it's like pulling teeth to get help. The best I can do is remove electronics from the boat and take them to a local B&G installer, or pay big money to have them come to my boat. They tell me what I already know and say that it costs more to fix than to replace. I'm considering going with a completely different company just to see if the gear is more durable and/or the service is better. I have several Furuno gadgets but have not had any experience with their service -- because the Furuno stuff keeps working (knock on wood).
Lantau is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, simrad