Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 06:23   #1

Boat: Corum 280CR
Simrad TP22 + IS20 "Chn6" Alarm

Hi there,

I tried sending this question to Simrad support on its website but haven't gotten a feedback after quite some time. So I'd see if anyone has encountered similar problem.

I have Simrad TP-22 tillerpilot and IS-20 wind instrument networked together along with other Lowrance gadgets (HDS-10m chart plotter, link8 VHF, AIS, etc.).

If I put the TP-22 in normal steering mode, it works fine. If I press the "<" and ">" buttons and put it into steer-to-wind mode, it also seems to be working fine, too. However, under the steer-to-wind mode, it keeps generating a very annoying beeping "Chn6" (wind change) alarm which I just can't clear!

I keep pressing the "enter" button on IS-20 but it keeps coming back beeping with the alarm. If I do it enough times, then the beeping would go away, but then the LCD screen on the IS-20 would keep showing "Chn6" instead of displaying the wind speed as it normally would. If let run for a couple of minutes, then the alarm kicks off again... and I really don't think there's much significant wind change during all of this time. This behavior starts as soon as steer-to-wind mode is entered...

I tried resetting the IS-20 and starting over... I also tried to set the wind-change alarm on it to "off", but nothing works

Other than this annoying alarm triggered on the wind instrument, the rest of the system seems to be functionally correct - i.e., it's doing a reasonably good job steering to the set wind angle.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2014, 07:39   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Simrad TP22 + IS20 "Chn6" Alarm

Had the same problem with a Simrad Ap11--the autopilot alarms if the true wind direction shifts more than 15 degrees. Simrad said that there was no way to adjust the alarm, so I just muffled the sound and lived with it.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2014, 08:37   #3

Boat: Corum 280CR
Re: Simrad TP22 + IS20 "Chn6" Alarm

I called Simrad support and spoke "briefly" with one guy who answered the call. According to him, it's not supposed to happen, and suggested that it's most likely the bus is not terminated properly. However, I'm so sure about that explanation... I doubt that's the case, but will need to get the installer to look at it.

What you said makes more sense though, and that sounded more like what's happening with my unit. Wish that they had an option or firmware update to the tiller pilot to adjust the threshold of the alarm generation.

Thanks!
samurai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, simrad