Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2023, 15:32   #1

Simrad TP32 Tiller Pilot on NMEA 2000Network

I'm about to do an electronics upgrade on my boat. I've bought a new MFD that has both NMEA 0183 and 2000 inputs/outputs. I want to network it with a wind sensor (replacing one that doesn't work) and the existing Simrad TP32.

It sounds like connecting the TP32 to the network SHOULD be straightforward but I have no idea how a previous owner wired the cockpit connector port. Before I start ripping things out, can anyone offer advice on identifying whether all the necessary cables are there? I will be able to identify the power cable to the TP32 from the switch panel, but I'm not sure what to look for to identify whether a previous owner networked it or not.

Any other tips on doing the upgrade are welcome.

Cheers.
alanfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 10:25   #2

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Simrad TP32 Tiller Pilot on NMEA 2000Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanfw View Post
I'm about to do an electronics upgrade on my boat. I've bought a new MFD that has both NMEA 0183 and 2000 inputs/outputs. I want to network it with a wind sensor (replacing one that doesn't work) and the existing Simrad TP32.

It sounds like connecting the TP32 to the network SHOULD be straightforward but I have no idea how a previous owner wired the cockpit connector port. Before I start ripping things out, can anyone offer advice on identifying whether all the necessary cables are there? I will be able to identify the power cable to the TP32 from the switch panel, but I'm not sure what to look for to identify whether a previous owner networked it or not.

Any other tips on doing the upgrade are welcome.

Cheers.
I have a TP32 on my n2k network, and it works a treat. Unless your previous owner was a real jerk and cut off the unused wires, there should be 3 cables coming out of the bulkhead connector. The power lead, another one with two small wires (nmea 0183) and a SimNet connector. It is a proprietary little 6 pin connector with the face of the connector being yellow plastic.

SimNet is just nmea 2000 with a weird connector, and you can get adapter cables that will hook it up

If your previous owner was an ass and cut the extra cables off, then you’re in a much tougher position. When our connector rotted out a few years ago, it was impossible to find a replacement. We wound up buying a TP32 on the cheap as we wanted the extra power and speed anyway.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2023, 13:22   #3

Thankyou HJ. That is very helpful and sounds encouraging.
Old 22-06-2023, 17:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjohnson View Post
I have a TP32 on my n2k network, and it works a treat. Unless your previous owner was a real jerk and cut off the unused wires, there should be 3 cables coming out of the bulkhead connector. The power lead, another one with two small wires (nmea 0183) and a SimNet connector. It is a proprietary little 6 pin connector with the face of the connector being yellow plastic.

SimNet is just nmea 2000 with a weird connector, and you can get adapter cables that will hook it up

If your previous owner was an ass and cut the extra cables off, then you’re in a much tougher position. When our connector rotted out a few years ago, it was impossible to find a replacement. We wound up buying a TP32 on the cheap as we wanted the extra power and speed anyway.
I'm finally getting around to installing my new chartplotter. It's a Garmin UHD 95sv (it has 0183 and 2000 in\out and wind instrument functionality). Can I ask what systems you have hooked up to your 2000 network to allow your TP32 to work? I'm unsure whether I need a separate autopilot instrument or whether I just need the Garmin to output wind, heading and courses sentences over the network. From what I can make out by reading the Simrad manual, it seems I just need the Garmin.

Cheers

Alan
Old 22-06-2023, 17:35   #5

Quote:
I'm finally getting around to installing my new chartplotter. It's a Garmin UHD 95sv (it has 0183 and 2000 in\out and wind instrument functionality). Can I ask what systems you have hooked up to your 2000 network to allow your TP32 to work? I'm unsure whether I need a separate autopilot instrument or whether I just need the Garmin to output wind, heading and courses sentences over the network. From what I can make out by reading the Simrad manual, it seems I just need the Garmin.

Cheers

Alan
As long as the data is on the N2k network, the TP32 will use it.

In my case, I'm using a vesper XB-8000 to convert between 0183 and N2k, and in particular take the feeds to/from our iPads over wifi, which we use as a chart plotter. It handles the APB sentence well, so we can kick the Autopilot into NAV mode. It's also converting the HDT sentences coming off our Furuno PG-500 fluxgate compass, which is a much better/more stable compass than what the TP32 has internally.

Anyhow, it just picks all tha tup off the N2K bus, and everything is happy.
Old 03-09-2023, 04:06   #6

Quote:

I finally got around to buying my new wind sensor and trying to create the N2K network. Wind sensor (B&G WS320) and Garmin Echomap work perfectly together but the TP32 doesn't want to play along. It doesn't show up in my devices list on the N2K menu and it won't go into Nav mode. I've tried converting from "Standalone Mode" to "System Mode" but still nothing.

Any tips?
Old 03-09-2023, 11:07   #7

Quote:
I finally got around to buying my new wind sensor and trying to create the N2K network. Wind sensor (B&G WS320) and Garmin Echomap work perfectly together but the TP32 doesn't want to play along. It doesn't show up in my devices list on the N2K menu and it won't go into Nav mode. I've tried converting from "Standalone Mode" to "System Mode" but still nothing.

Any tips?
Sorry, it all just sort of worked together nicely for us. We have a very heterogeneous N2K network too (Vesper, Garmin, Simrad, icom, wakespeed, and Victron).

But if your autopilot isn’t showing up in the list of devices, that tells me that either the +12v on the simnet/N2k isn’t active, the bus terminators aren’t in place, or the n2k wires themselves aren’t actually making contact.
Old 03-09-2023, 18:23   #8

Quote:
Sorry, it all just sort of worked together nicely for us. We have a very heterogeneous N2K network too (Vesper, Garmin, Simrad, icom, wakespeed, and Victron).

But if your autopilot isn’t showing up in the list of devices, that tells me that either the +12v on the simnet/N2k isn’t active, the bus terminators aren’t in place, or the n2k wires themselves aren’t actually making contact.
Thanks for getting back to me. Before work this morning I dropped down to the boat and fiddled with the connections. I also had another attempt at activating System Mode. The TP32 is now showing up on the device list!! Hopefully things will now work as expected
Old 10-09-2023, 14:27   #9

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

You may want to find out whether you are on the latest firmware for the TP32, I think there was a bug in earlier versions that caused it to slightly misbehave in some way. Search the forums here on CF...
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 16:01   #10

Boat: Newport 27-S MKII

Don't forget the Simrad TP-series Tiller AutoPilots have a "Steer to Wind" mode you can set them to IF you have an NMEA2K wind sensor on your NMEA2K network. I have a Maretron WSO100 Ultrasonic Wind/weather sensor on my mast head that's seen perfectly on my NMEA2K network....unfortunately haven't had a chance to test that mode yet due to cracked diesel cylinder head keeping me at the dock. [emoji33][emoji24]
Stenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2023, 18:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenn View Post
Don't forget the Simrad TP-series Tiller AutoPilots have a "Steer to Wind" mode you can set them to IF you have an NMEA2K wind sensor on your NMEA2K network. I have a Maretron WSO100 Ultrasonic Wind/weather sensor on my mast head that's seen perfectly on my NMEA2K network....unfortunately haven't had a chance to test that mode yet due to cracked diesel cylinder head keeping me at the dock. [emoji33][emoji24]
As long as you have your Sails reasonably well balanced, and the wind is stable, it works fairly well. I tend to use it while single handing. The tack function is usually a bit overly harsh, but if you move your jib appropriately it comes in.

My wind setup is a Garmin GND10 setup (descendent of the Silva Nexus instruments).
Old 13-09-2023, 22:14   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Thankyou HJ. That is very helpful and sounds encouraging.
Simrad manuals show many alternate connection schemes and my manuals were extremely helpful. All are on line. Connecting Simrad to Simrad should be especially easy.

There are some Simnet connection protocols you can’t alter.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, nmea 2000, simrad, work