Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2012, 09:57   #1

Simrad WR20 Remote problems

I recently added a Simrad WR20 remote control to my nav setup and find its operation to be very unreliable. Is anyone else using one of them?

Although it can remotely control a number of things, I'm using it solely to control my Simrad auto pilot so I don't have to keep jumping up to make course adjustments on the AP control panel. In river systems where you are constantly adjusting, it's a really nice thing to have - if it works.

But I find that when I press the button to adjust course port or starboard, the button press only works 50%-75% of the time. It's quite maddening, and really not usable in its current condition.

My first suspicion was that the base station placement was problematic, so I've moved it around and currently having it siting right on top of the helm. I can operate the remote in one hand and touch the base station with the other, so if there is a reception problem, it's a REALLY big problem.

I've also tried shutting off my on-board WiFi but that makes no difference either.

Maybe I just have a defective unit, but would love to head from anyone who is using one.

Thanks
twistedtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 10:05   #2

Boat: Passport 42
I see similar behavior even when right next to base station in the cockpit. But then at other times it works great when I'm at the bow.
memelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2012, 13:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by memelet
I see similar behavior even when right next to base station in the cockpit. But then at other times it works great when I'm at the bow.
I sent a support request to Simrad, but expect it will be a black hole. I've stopped using it - it just doesn't work in any acceptable way.
Old 02-11-2012, 16:36   #4

Re: Simrad WR20 Remote problems

Here's a quick follow-up on this. I sent the remote back to Simrad for repair. It took a while, but the returned unit appears to work correctly now. I only used it briefly before putting the boat away for the winter, and I have my fingers crossed that it continues to work reliably now.
Old 22-11-2013, 12:08   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Seems like the WR20 is nothing but a nusance, I was thinking of getting one, I like the Idea of steering from the bow occasionaly, may come in handy .

Anybody get one working properly ??

I have a NSS7 controlling an AC42 autopilot.

Thought I would ask in this thread as well.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 15:33   #6

Your inquiry is very timely

Don't buy one. I'm currently in an arm wrestling match with Simrad over mine not working, and I am incredibly disappointed with their lack of support for a product that clearly doesn't work as advertised. I have sent mine in for "repair" and it made no difference. I bought another identical unit (at my own expense) because I didn't want to waste my time sending the first one in again for "repair", knowing darn well that it wasn't broken, just poorly designed. The second unit misoperates exactly like the first one, proving that the design is bad.

This product is clearly a deficient design and Simrad does not stand behind it. I am insisting they take both units back and refund my purchase price, but so far all I
am getting is the usual deflection, denial, and avoidance crap. It's quite frankly making me wonder if I haven't made a huge mistake building a Simrad showcase electronics package in my new boat.

The problem, by the way, is that when steering the autopilot via the WR20, anywhere from 20% to 80% of the key presses are not recognized. I use it a lot, or at least try to, when steering in waterways. The AP is in Auto mode, and I use the remote to bump the heading a few degrees at a time. I just went about 1400 miles from New England to Florida on the ICW this way. There are times when it recognizes 80-90% of the key presses, but it's never always worked. And there are times when it only recognizes 10-20% of the presses. It's downright dangerous since you never know if you have command of the ship or not. The other day I decided I'd had enough and started the "debate" with Simrad. Both units are under warranty and I have tried everything they have suggested to fix it, but the performance remains dismal.

From what I can tell, the problem is interference with cell phones. After exhaustive experimentation, including turning off all other bluetooth and wifi devices on the boat, only the proximity of the cell phones seems to make a difference. And we are talking about phone that are not in use - just turned on and idle. If we move the phones as far as possible from the helm, the performance goes up closer to 80%. If a phone is sitting on the helm, performance will drop to below 50%. It's a pretty definitive correlation. But even with the phones completely turned off, performance still isn't 100%.
Old 23-11-2013, 04:12   #7

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post

Don't buy one. I'm currently in an arm wrestling match with Simrad over mine not working, and I am incredibly disappointed with their lack of support for a product that clearly doesn't work as advertised. I have sent mine in for "repair" and it made no difference. I bought another identical unit (at my own expense) because I didn't want to waste my time sending the first one in again for "repair", knowing darn well that it wasn't broken, just poorly designed. The second unit misoperates exactly like the first one, proving that the design is bad.

This product is clearly a deficient design and Simrad does not stand behind it. I am insisting they take both units back and refund my purchase price, but so far all I
am getting is the usual deflection, denial, and avoidance crap. It's quite frankly making me wonder if I haven't made a huge mistake building a Simrad showcase electronics package in my new boat.

The problem, by the way, is that when steering the autopilot via the WR20, anywhere from 20% to 80% of the key presses are not recognized. I use it a lot, or at least try to, when steering in waterways. The AP is in Auto mode, and I use the remote to bump the heading a few degrees at a time. I just went about 1400 miles from New England to Florida on the ICW this way. There are times when it recognizes 80-90% of the key presses, but it's never always worked. And there are times when it only recognizes 10-20% of the presses. It's downright dangerous since you never know if you have command of the ship or not. The other day I decided I'd had enough and started the "debate" with Simrad. Both units are under warranty and I have tried everything they have suggested to fix it, but the performance remains dismal.

From what I can tell, the problem is interference with cell phones. After exhaustive experimentation, including turning off all other bluetooth and wifi devices on the boat, only the proximity of the cell phones seems to make a difference. And we are talking about phone that are not in use - just turned on and idle. If we move the phones as far as possible from the helm, the performance goes up closer to 80%. If a phone is sitting on the helm, performance will drop to below 50%. It's a pretty definitive correlation. But even with the phones completely turned off, performance still isn't 100%.
Great advice , thanks for the update and review. I think I will just pass on the unit , put the boat bucks somewhere else . It's a really good idea , if they could just get it to work . Maybe if they designed it to use WiFi like the GoFree .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 04:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Great advice , thanks for the update and review. I think I will just pass on the unit , put the boat bucks somewhere else . It's a really good idea , if they could just get it to work . Maybe if they designed it to use WiFi like the GoFree .

Regards
I hear ya! I like the product idea (when/if it works) so much I dropped another $600 on a second unit in hopes of solving the problem since Simrad was giving me the run-around. At the time it seemed to work, but that was before I figured out the cell phone correlation, so I was probably just getting lucky at the time. Unfortunately I was past my return window with Defender by the time I realized the problem was still there.

As you probably know, it uses bluetooth, but I don't think bluetooth itself is the problem - just their implementation. Sitting right at my helm is a Mac mini with bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and both of them work just fine. And, Yes, I turned all that off as part of my experimentation. It had no effect.

I also can't say for sure that it's an RF or bluetooth implementation problem. Only Simrad could figure that out if they would care enough to take the time to actually investigate the problem, reproduce what's happening, and try to fix it.
Old 23-11-2013, 13:54   #9

Boat: Passport 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
The problem, by the way, is that when steering the autopilot via the WR20, anywhere from 20% to 80% of the key presses are not recognized.
I see the exact same behavior. This occurs even when sitting right next the receiver.

-barry
memelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:17   #10

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I was seriously thinking about one too but the experience expressed here on the forum as convinced me that 1) Simrad is not a company to invest dollars with in terms of their products since the support is so lousy 2) the WR20 is a worthless device as implemented

Thanks again for the honest reviews.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote, simrad