Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2016, 19:32   #16

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

..and if nobody is ashore to send the info to your DeLorme, these guys will for $10/month on a month to month subscription.

SpotCast Weather
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:42   #17

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter

How much coverage do you actually get with XM weather? I understood they only covered CONUS and Canada
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:19   #18

Boat: Hunter 340

I get coverage in Canada, US and the Bahamas. Sirius was a bit surprised when I told them I was getting coverage in the Bahamas
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 10:44   #19

Were you recieving service in the Bahamas, or were you getting weather info for the Bahamas?
Old 26-04-2016, 10:53   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You have to define Bahamas too, cause it does not extend to the out islands, or didn't used to.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 11:25   #21

Maybe I should restate my question. How far outside of CONUS can I expect to get XM weather reception? How far outside of CONUS does XM weather information extend? Can you get weather information for eastern Bahams? T&C? USVI? Porto Rico?

I'm trying to determine if XM Weather is worth the price. I have Predict Wind that give a lot of great weather data, but is limited to areas where I have 3g/4g/WiFi service for receiption, but weather info for outside of CONUS.
Old 26-04-2016, 11:34   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is a map depiction somewhere, it's pretty accurate, just cant find it now?

On edit

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-50700.html

And this for WX RADAR coverage
You have to go to the left and click RADAR coverage, I can't get it to link directly.
http://www.xmwxweather.com/xmwx-data/data-products.php
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 11:57   #23

That makes my decision a lot easier!
Old 14-05-2016, 06:12   #24

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
I was told that if you have a Sirius/XM compatible radio you don't need the weather receiver. However I cannot find this anywhere online, everything says you need a WX receiver. It would be great if there was a radio that had a built in WX receiver.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2016, 10:54   #25

Boat: Catalina 470

sharkwatcher,
The title of your post asks about Sirius???
But, the body of your post asks about XM??
While Sirius and XM are now owned by the same company, and are called "Sirius XM", please note that they have two totally different satellite constellations, with totally different orbits..(and as of 2 years ago totally different weather offerings.)

I've made my living running my own communications and consulting firm, specializing in sat comm...so satellite coverage and link budgets is what I've done for > 30 years now!!
So, here's the straight skinny!

Sirius is by far the better of the two for marine weather info/data, and also for widest coverage....(but, there are other/better options)

And, please watch these videos....you'll learn a LOT about Offshore Weather info/forecasts sources and applications...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

~~~

Please let me preface the answers to your questions, with this fact....
You will get the SAME weather info / data and forecasts for FREE directly to your boat at any place you've queried about in this, via HF radio...
Since Sirius uses the US NWS/NOAA Marine offshore weather info/forecasts, there is really nothing to be gained by using Sirius Marine weather, other than you can use your chartplotter to read the forecast on, or view the weather chart on...
These same forecasts and charts are updated 4 times a day, and transmitted for free to you worldwide....
So, if your goal is offshore weather info/forecasts, when away from terrestrial sources (away from cellular, Wi-Fi, etc.), then please note that all of what Sirius broadcasts is available for free elsewhere / direct from the source!

~~~

Okay, onto the answers!

FYI, This has been discussed at length here, and the satellites and orbits are still all the same as before, and Sirius Marine Weather offerings are as well....(not sure if XM has made any changes, but with Sirius by far the better choice for coverage and marine weather data, few mariners bother with XM....although XM does a great job with CONUS aviation weather!)

Please read ALL of the referenced threads here, AND follow the links in those threads, and you'll have more info / details than you could imagine!!

And, again....please watch these videos....as they will answer a LOT of your questions!!

I will answer your specific questions with both Sirius and XM info...just be aware they are different!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkwatcher View Post
Maybe I should restate my question. How far outside of CONUS can I expect to get XM weather reception?
Sirius (weather and music, the same coverage) coverage / reception is quite good, far beyond CONUS....
[I have personal knowledge of all of this, not just rehashing something I read somewhere]
Eastern edge of reliable coverage from your boat is well east of Canadian maritimes and Bermuda, and into the eastern Caribbean as well....(some with fixed antennas on shore, even get signal/reception in the Azores!)
The eastern coverage starts to fade once south of Antigua / 17*N....but is still usable down to about Martinique / 14*N....(some do report reception as far southeast as Grenada, but not reliable there...)
The "southern" coverage is good throughout Mexico, but starts to fade as you get into C. Amer...and although there is some reception reported in Panama, like Grenada it's not reliable (and I've only heard of one guy who gets Sirius in Panama, on shore!)
The western coverage extends from a few hundred miles offshore of Mexico, through the eastern Pacific, and up to Alaska....
The western coverage fades about 1/2 to 2/3 the way to Hawaii....
(Alaska is the ONLY place that I have no personal knowledge of reception, so all I can do is tell you to assume no coverage there....)

XM reception I have no personal experience with, just anecdotal reports and their coverage maps...
But, XM reception / coverage is much more limited....typically covering out past CONUS approx. 250 miles....

How far outside of CONUS does XM weather information extend?
Can you get weather information for eastern Bahams? T&C? USVI? Porto Rico?
XM, I'm not sure about...but I assume their weather info is as limited as their coverage....but that's moot...'cause if you can't get the signal, you can't get their weather info!
And, the answer is:
USVI and PR, etc. = NO XM coverage!
Bahamas = some coverage
Eastern Bahamas and T&C = some coverage / not reliable

As for Sirius Marine weather information...
They DO provide the NWS/NOAA Offshore forecast for the SW N. Atl (including the Bahamas and T&C), which does cover down to PR and USVI / BVI....
(but last time I checked, 3 years ago, they did not provide marine weather farther down / no Caribbean coverage)

I'm trying to determine if XM Weather is worth the price.
In my opinion, no it's not worth the price...

I have Predict Wind that give a lot of great weather data, but is limited to areas where I have 3g/4g/WiFi service for receiption, but weather info for outside of CONUS.
For ~ $100 you'll have access (for FREE) to Offshore Voice weather info / forecasts from multiple stations (NMN, NMG, WLO, etc.) 8 - 12 times a day, for FREE...that will cover you all through the Bahamas, T&C, PR, USVI, BVI, Carib, Gulf of Mexico, etc. etc.
(and wider area weather info/forecasts covering you all the way across the Atlantic, as well)

And, adding some free software (JVComm, etc.) to your PC will get you weather charts on your PC (directly from the seasoned marine meteorologists), updated 4 times a day...also for FREE...

AND...
And, please note that all of this weather info/forecasts are from human beings (experienced / seasoned marine meteorologists, who sign their name to each forecast), NOT raw computer model data that is propagated so much on-line, in smart phone apps, and from GRIB's, etc...
Please read these threads here....and follow the links in them, for LOTS of details!!

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...an-102491.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ice-66940.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-153173.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-150490.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lse-96472.html

And, here too...

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1873587

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1373123

And, again....please watch these videos....

Fair winds..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 21:13   #26

Boat: Lagoon 440, Hull#111

This is the range claimed on the Raymarine page. SiriusXM Satellite Weather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverageMap.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	125349  
Old 20-02-2017, 15:30   #27

Boat: Swan 432

I have a question regarding the Sirius/xm weather module. I am having one installed along with some other electronics, all B&G. I would also like to change out my stereo and someone recommended Fusion. Their web site states I also need a vehicle tuner in order to get Sirius or xm audio. Do I need the tuner if I have the weather module?
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 04:35   #28

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by cll2 View Post
This is the range claimed on the Raymarine page. SiriusXM Satellite Weather
Thanks Cll2. I think the word "claimed" is key here.
I have been using Sirius XM weather for 3 years and here's what I have found:

1. The so-called Support Team is flat out worthless in more ways than I can count.
2. For the Bahamas:the information is poor at best. Forcasts are standard NOAA which are free of course. The graphics for rain/thunderstorm activity is highly unreliable at best and should NOT be used to see any thunderstorm activity.
3. Forcasts and current weather for the CONUS is really quite good, but who needs it if you have wi-fi or cellular coverage??
4. I would give anything to have a detailed discussion with someone who actually knows something about Sirius XM weather.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather