Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2015, 10:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Any comments on Sirius XM Marine weather service?

Thanks
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 13:51   #2
CRM

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 46
Re: Sirius XM Weather.. Anyone using it?

Provides good, up-to-date information within their area of coverage.
Old 18-06-2015, 14:10   #3

Our new-to-us boat has a Sirius XM Weather receiver, which I won't use. Guess I'll sell it to pay for other goodies.

We can get a lot more for less money from a PredictWind Pro subscription package. Of course, that presumes you have a SSB and Pactor modem or an Iridium Go or some other means of communicating with PredictWind.

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 17:35   #4

Thanks
Old 18-06-2015, 17:52   #5

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
Our new-to-us boat has a Sirius XM Weather receiver, which I won't use. Guess I'll sell it to pay for other goodies.

We can get a lot more for less money from a PredictWind Pro subscription package. Of course, that presumes you have a SSB and Pactor modem or an Iridium Go or some other means of communicating with PredictWind.

- Rusty
We find predictwind to be more miss than hit in the San Francisco bay area.

I know its using the US and Canadian data sources.

Are you running a desktop app for predictwind and syncing that through your Pactor andSSB?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 19:11   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 33

We used it for our Bahamas trip in 2010 from the keys to Georgetown and were happy with it.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:09   #7

Boat: Island Packet 35

I have an older Garmin 540 that I keep around just for that which uses the MUCH less expensive GXM 31 antenna. It is very nice being able to track systems when away from cell coverage and the ability to just turn it on and track a storm takes a couple seconds. I don't get all of the features the new ones have but it is very handy on the boat, especially for making time go faster listening to music, talk radio, news, etc. on the ICW.

The biggest benefit is the ability to just turn it on and have a radar and wind map in a couple seconds.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 08:23   #8

Boat: Hunter 340

I have used it for 2 years in the great lakes and florida/bahamas and its really handy to see thunderstorm cells. I bought the Coastal package which is limited for forcasts. Generally, I'm not impressed with the wind speed graphics page at all.
If you need to call for assistance, be very very sure you have the correct phone number for satellite marine weather.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 09:31   #9

I'm not knocking XM, it looks really good, but we also want the weather routing and departure planning features which PredictWind includes. Also, XM does not cover all the areas we will be travelling over the next year.

The boat is new to us, and I won't be installing the Pactor until next month. Ideally, it would be great to have both, but it does gets spend for both subscriptions. If we weren't equipped with radar, that might justify XM too. Anyway, we'll test out both before deciding for sure. Having the hardware for both makes it easy to switch if needed.

With PredictWind, we would be using the PC app to make requests and display the data, so the downloads are kept lean. We'd be getting the Pro version which has up to 1 km resolution, depending on area.

leftbrainstuff, which package were/are you using?

- Rusty
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 10:10   #10

Boat: Island Packet 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
I'm not knocking XM, it looks really good, but we also want the weather routing and departure planning features which PredictWind includes. Also, XM does not cover all the areas we will be travelling over the next year.

The boat is new to us, and I won't be installing the Pactor until next month. Ideally, it would be great to have both, but it does gets spend for both subscriptions. If we weren't equipped with radar, that might justify XM too. Anyway, we'll test out both before deciding for sure. Having the hardware for both makes it easy to switch if needed.

With PredictWind, we would be using the PC app to make requests and display the data, so the downloads are kept lean. We'd be getting the Pro version which has up to 1 km resolution, depending on area.

leftbrainstuff, which package were/are you using?

- Rusty

Sitting at anchor listening to Radio Margaritaville. They skies get a little grey. Hit two buttons and see storms approaching, tracks and winds. All told, 5 seconds to situational awareness.

Old method was to warm up the radar, do a few sweeps and you could see the wall, but not much else. So you tune in, or fire up the Iridium or if you are lucky there is cell or wifi signal in range. Fire up the laptop, wait for the software to load and update...

I think the only difference is the benefit of entertainment value and instant and consistent situational awareness. I have never used it for trip planning.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 14:35   #11

I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
Old 21-02-2016, 05:15   #12

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
I have been researching this and it looks like the cheapest way I can display XM weather will cost $699 for some wire and an antenna that connects to my B&G display.
I also looked at a Raymarine option and that costs $699 plus another $1500 minimum of you don't have a compatible display.
I think that is absurd to have buy $700 worth of equipment to then pay $30-$60 month for marine weather. I would think if SiriusXM could get the price for displaying their data reduced they would have a lot more customers. Right now I don't care how useful their info is It's not worth the price of admission for recreational sailing up and down the coast.
It would definitely be worth the cost if the coverage was global.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2016, 05:31   #13

Boat: Hylas 49

I'm installing it for the Annapolis Bermuda race. Bought a Used unit.

Looking for a newer unit for a Raymarine system.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 18:55   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOffice View Post
I'm installing it for the Annapolis Bermuda race. Bought a Used unit.

Looking for a newer unit for a Raymarine system.

I always thought the coverage was pretty much limited to 100 miles or so from shore, making it a coastal tool at best.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 19:26   #15

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentOption View Post
Damn, I am cheap. I just rely on my wife at shore relay weather update info to me when I crossing the ocean via InReach text message. It costs $0.5 per 160 char. ..... From my out going message, she knows where I am and where I am heading. She checks the weather and gives me the synopsis. Sometimes she will tell me the highs and the lows are.....hahahah.

I am not so lucky to have a wife who will sail with me in the middle of f....king ocean.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weather