Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 01:19   #1

Skywave terminal IDP-690

Hi,

Does anybody use a Skywave terminal IDP-690 for position updates, messaging and getting in gribfiles? And if so, what are the experiences about reliability and easy of use?

Thank you

Marco
rocma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:09   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Skywave terminal IDP-690

Marco,
This will not work for the applications you desire!!!
Sorry....

The IDP-690 uses the INMARSAT IsatData Pro service....
And, even though it is a two-way sat comm data service, it is designed for asset tracking and control, NOT to send / receive e-mails...so, unlikely that you'll find anyone here using it (I don't own an oil rig
{But, generically, it should be as reliable as any INMARSAT low-speed data system....albeit not as reliable as the GMDSS-compliant INMARSAT-C, but as good as a fixed-mount IsatPhonePro with ext ant and data kit...just more robust and idiot-proof... }

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser View Post
Hi,

Does anybody use a Skywave terminal IDP-690 for position updates, messaging and getting in gribfiles? And if so, what are the experiences about reliability and easy of use?

Thank you

Marco
It is possible that you could configure this system to send messages, other than those of tracking / monitoring / control of mobile assets, etc., but there are no provisions for any attachments nor IP-based files, etc...

So, all-in-all, I think you should be looking at the more conventional and proven means to access weather info/forecasts while offshore at sea, and for position updates, etc...
(and these are good ole reliable HF Radio and/or some sort of Sat Com terminal)

For more info, please have a look here:

Offshore Weather Info/Forecast, Sources and Dissemination
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

Marine HF-DSC-SSB, the GMDSS, "communications stool legs"

I hope this helps..

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 00:07   #3

True and not true John.

True the device is mainly uses for tracking and sending position/COG and SOG, but there are companies who have developed hard- and software (a little smart box) where you can sent 1000 character messages, retrieve grib files.
This is done via a USB memory stick, where received messages and or to be sent messages are loaded on and off, thus not having to have a laptop connected 24/7. You prepare messages on a laptop, put it on the USB stick and then place the stick in the smart box. The rest goes automatic. And if you receive a message, a red LED blinks on the smart box. Take out the USB, put it in your laptop and read the message.
Gribfiles work the same, except that you send a code via the smart box and within minutes, you get the grib file, relevant to your position and area.

All this is via a service contract.

But I think not many companies offer this service (yet).
Old 13-01-2016, 05:26   #4

Marco,
I was unaware of the aftermarket / third-party providers and vendors that have developed hardware/software which allows the IDP-690 to be used outside of its designed application...

So, Thank You, for educating me!!

My only caveat would be for you to verify that these are in fact INMARSAT approved applications, otherwise you may find yourself without any service (or without these Apps working), should INMARSAT decide this is not an approved / viable use of their system...(after all, they do have systems/services provide these services, which they might wish you to use.

Further, you will need to determine if these third-party / aftermarket apps are reliable / workable for you (which I suspect is your reason for posting this query here!)

However, I can speak for the "satellite" part of your reliability question....in addition to what I wrote earlier, please note that as long as you have the sat com antenna / terminal mounted out in the clear, where it can always have an unobstructed view of the sky (allowing line-of-sight to the INMARSAT geostationary satellite covering your region), the connection should be reliable (similar to an iSatPhonePro with an active external antenna)....if you're sailing in the high latitudes, it can be difficult to find a location on the typically cluttered cruising boat, for mounting the unit where it will always be able to see the satellite...

With the new info that you provided, it seems the IDP-690 might work for you...
But, I still think my words from earlier represent my best advice...particularly as I'm not aware of where you might be sailing, where GRIB weather charts might be necessary / where the more reliable WeFax charts are not available??
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
{But, generically, it should be as reliable as any INMARSAT low-speed data system....albeit not as reliable as the GMDSS-compliant INMARSAT-C, but as good as a fixed-mount IsatPhonePro with ext ant and data kit...just more robust and idiot-proof... }

It is possible that you could configure this system to send messages, other than those of tracking / monitoring / control of mobile assets, etc., but there are no provisions for any attachments nor IP-based files, etc...

So, all-in-all, I think you should be looking at the more conventional and proven means to access weather info/forecasts while offshore at sea, and for position updates, etc...
(and these are good ole reliable HF Radio and/or some sort of Sat Com terminal)

For more info, please have a look here:

Offshore Weather Info/Forecast, Sources and Dissemination
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Offshore / Hi-Seas Weather data / forecasts

Marine HF-DSC-SSB, the GMDSS, "communications stool legs"
I do hope I helped a little....

Fair winds..

John
Old 14-01-2016, 00:55   #5

Your time and input is much appreciated John.

Currently a friend of mine (where I got this idea from in the first place) is sort of mid Atlantic. He will let me know his findings when he arrives in Brazil, but so far indications are positive.

What I particurly like is that you do not have to have a laptop hooked on 24/7.

Once I hear back from my friend Frank, I will post here again.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:00   #6

I contacted the supplier/inventor of this "smart box" and it is all Inmarsat approved.

This company who developed it is in fact an Inmarsat dealer and they have developed this smart box and the software in close conjuction with Inmarsat.

So.....it seems a very viable option to me.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:11   #7

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcruiser View Post
I contacted the supplier/inventor of this "smart box" and it is all Inmarsat approved.

This company who developed it is in fact an Inmarsat dealer and they have developed this smart box and the software in close conjuction with Inmarsat.

So.....it seems a very viable option to me.
===

Do you have any information on the cost/availability of the entire system and service, including the smart box?
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:15   #8

Marco,
This is good news, indeed...
If your friend is pleased with the results, please let us know!

BTW, when I first read your original post here, I was going to advise you to simply get an INMARSAT-C Terminal ("Sat-C"), where you'd have:

a) SafetyNet Weather broadcasts direct to you, multiple times each day, available 24/7/365...for Free!

b) Position reporting and Weather reporting ability multiple times each day....for Free!

c) Full GMDSS Distress signaling (directly to RCC's and directly to all other GMDSS compliant vessels)....for Free!

d) And, "pay-by-the-character" low-speed data connection...

But, I thought the approx. $3000 USD cost of an INMARSAT-C system would be off-putting....so, I didn't recommend it...
BUT...

But, since you are looking for something for offshore, across oceans, you may wish to look at INMRASAT-C....yes, the equipment is pricey, but you do get a LOT of capability (just not hi-speed data)...and the INMARSAT-C system / equipment is extremely robust and reliable (certainly more so that the isatdata system)

Fair winds..

John
Old 14-01-2016, 11:27   #9

Ok, what is have been quoted is the following:

The ST-Star tracking kit is 999 euros (basically the Skywave dome terminal 690), the smart box is 169 euros.

The yearly service charge for giving position data (incl. access by others with a code to their website where they can track your boat) and the sending of data/messages is 210 euros per year. This includes 75 polls per quarter (so 300 position reports per year).
Extra polls are at 1,30 euro per poll

Sending or receiving messages to and from the system, is 90 cents per message of max 1000 characters.

These prices are I think incl. 21% VAT.

Every transmission is minimised/zipped and no other crap is sent at the same time. It reminds me of Gateway.

Thatīs the info I have for now.