Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2013, 11:24   #16

Re: So i am buying an iPad, which one?

If you're getting an Ipad make sure the waterproof one.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 11:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post

I've changed 3 times and can tell you most apps you simply don't need again. There's a few, but the majority are free. There's just so many useless apps that you think you need, but when you get down to it, you really don't.

Just my 2 cents. I wouldn't stick with a brand simply because I have a lot of apps for it. Go with what meets the needs best. If that's an iPad, then stick with it. If not, don't stick with it just for that reason, I think you'd find you wouldn't be looking to re-download all 600-700 apps. I bet you don't even use 10% of them.
You'd be wrong there.

I have $hundreds in guitar amplifier simulators and multitrack recording apps. I have $hundreds in marine navigation apps. I have lots of money tied up in office suites and writing/business apps. And one of my most expensive apps, Navigon North America, is used every day. I rarely use a free app. Even my photo and video editing apps were expensive.
Jbaffoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 11:39   #18

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efraim View Post
If you're getting an Ipad make sure the waterproof one.
Which one is that? To my knowledge there isn't one -- but make sure to get a waterproof case.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 11:47   #19

Cat Man Didn't seems a little out of touch and quick to take things out of context.

There is a huge difference between Apple hardware evolving as technology passes by the older stuff, and current manufacturers of hardware that may or may not be able to handle certain versions of Android. I know many people lured from Apple by the budget prices of Droid stuff. Every one of them regretted it because some apps work, some only partially, and some not at all. The problem is lack of continuity at all stages.

Oh, and thank you for pointing out that most app developers are third parties. Gee, after 30 years of using computers, 7 years of iPhones, and 3 years of iPads, it too your fandroid.....edit

Mod edit: Violation of Be Nice Rule
Old 30-01-2013, 11:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post

Which one is that? To my knowledge there isn't one -- but make sure to get a waterproof case.
There isn't, but I recently read that there are some good waterproofing technologies now, and you can pay to have your phone or tablet waterproofed. For now, I'm sticking with LifeProof cases.
Old 30-01-2013, 12:11   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbaffoh View Post
You'd be wrong there.

I have $hundreds in guitar amplifier simulators and multitrack recording apps. I have $hundreds in marine navigation apps. I have lots of money tied up in office suites and writing/business apps. And one of my most expensive apps, Navigon North America, is used every day. I rarely use a free app. Even my photo and video editing apps were expensive.
Ok, there are exceptions - you are one of them The specialty apps are those exceptions. Only expensive app I ever replaced was navionics when I went from iPhone to Android.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 12:14   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
At 100 Million iPads sold to date.
I am thinking, your not thinking
Not to get into an argument over it as Apple clearly is doing well today, but past sales don't equal future success.

Their sales are slowing - even if they level out, they are still going to do well, but they are facing far more competition than they ever had before and the competition has some great offerings.

Apple's biggest problem is that its just them. They compete not against Android and Windows, but against every other vendor out there, HP, Samsung, Dell, HTC..etc..etc. They no longer offer the best device any given day - they simply now offer very good devices. Best thing they have going for them though is that many people using their devices don't know anything else is better, because they often just get the next iPhone/iPad.

Anyway - to the OP - Get the iPad 4. Technology is outdated the day you buy it, so why buy the already replaced outdated model when you can get the new one?
Old 30-01-2013, 12:14   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Yes, get the 3 or 4G model so that you have GPS. It works quite well. There are even some countries where you can get a data plan via sim card. 64 is plenty of memory, even with over a dozen movies stored. There are several waterproof cases and bags available.

The Navionics app is not a substitute for nav software, but is a great adjunct, and does a lot that my chart plotter can't do easily. If you already have CM93 charts, check out SEAiq also.
There are also some nice anchor alarm apps, for only a few bucks.
I even have a free alarm app, so I can read or watch a movie while on watch. It chimes at my set time to remind me to look around (or wake me up!)
I just hope that Apple never gets into robotics. I don't ever want a machine to tell me everything must be done HIS way.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 12:33   #24

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Good to know this question, thanks OP for asking, as I was about to ask the same question. Lord knows I need a better way to get my boat from point A to B. So, its the Apple 3 with the GPS chip.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 13:22   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Post 7 shows an example - CABLES.
To single Apple out for that is ridiculous. They haven't changed the cable in years.

Other vendors have done the same - mini usb and micro usb for example. And Apple at least has adapters to go from the old to the new.

Only argument you could make is that they have to use their own proprietary connector rather than using the standard micro usb everyone else uses today.
Old 30-01-2013, 14:22   #26

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
Re: So I Am Buying an iPad, Which One?

Not to enter the Apple/Android debate, but the recently announced Sony Xperia Z Tablet is supposed to be waterproof all by itself. I sort of doubt it will be totally resistant to marine use, but it's a step in the right direction.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:07   #27

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I am making this post on an iPad. Like some in this thread I resisted the evil Apple empire for years.

I am actually speaking into my iPad and letting it type this for me. It types faster and spells better than I do.

I wish every single piece of electronic equipment worked as well is my iPad.

I have used computers since I was eight years old, and I have never found anything that works as well, or is as easy to figure out how to make it do what I want it to do.

Stop resisting and try one... You will be ruined for everything else...
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:32   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post

I am actually speaking into my iPad and letting it type this for me. It types faster and spells better than I do.
I'm doing the same thing--I just hit the microphone button and spoke into the iPad and hear are the results. Other than for the fact that "here" should've been spelled HERE, the machine does a nifty job.
Old 30-01-2013, 15:41   #29

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I modified this since my response to the comments above were off topic and took away from the OP's post.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 15:50   #30

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

For the first time in my life I am using an Apple IPOD... We purchased it last week in Panama City.

We bought the IPAD 4 and it works well with the Navionics Software and Routing App. I think this will be a great back up for the chart plotter and we have already started using it for route planning.

I even found an App for the Cruisers Network!

We have been running the IPOD of the local WiFi, but it is unlocked so we will probably get a SIM card for it Mexico and when we are in the US this summer

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, Ipad, ipad