Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2015, 05:07   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Software N2K to NMEA0183?

Wouldn't your gofree wifi be a simpler solution? You could connect multiple devices to that.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:55   #17

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

There is a solution...

Polarview NS. Its does pretty much everything OpenCPN does, but costs $50. It not only accepts NMEA2000, but you could even use it to convert the NMEA2000 strings to NMEA0183 and send them to OpenCPN . Although that would be kinda silly since it can do all the things OpenCPN does.

Its a good product for a little bit of money.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 18:58   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Wouldn't your gofree wifi be a simpler solution? You could connect multiple devices to that.

Mark
Yes, I'm using that with my IPlod and soon an Android tablet as well. It works great with the Plod -- practically plug and play.

But I decided I would like to have the nav network hardwired to the main computer in case I want an internet connection at the same time. I decided not to combine the regular data network with the nav network -- too scary -- although some people do it.

So I have regular internet connections (and file server, print server etc.) on a separate network through a Huawei LTE router.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 19:00   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
There is a solution...

Polarview NS. Its does pretty much everything OpenCPN does, but costs $50. It not only accepts NMEA2000, but you could even use it to convert the NMEA2000 strings to NMEA0183 and send them to OpenCPN . Although that would be kinda silly since it can do all the things OpenCPN does.

Its a good product for a little bit of money.
Sounds good, and the money is not an issue (donate more than that to OCPN), but I am more than sure that it does not do half of what OCPN does.

I will, however, test that prejudice by having a look at it.
Old 08-02-2015, 20:07   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sounds good, and the money is not an issue (donate more than that to OCPN), but I am more than sure that it does not do half of what OCPN does.

I will, however, test that prejudice by having a look at it.
Don't get me wrong. I love OpenCPN and support it (heck I wrote a chart download tool for it)... but... There are times when it frustrates me. Just today I was pulling my hair out at how it displays chart data (by design).

I think its a good thing to have multiple ways to view charts. So I have both of them loaded.

I think you may be surprised at PolarView. Its pretty feature rich these days. Its also pretty nice to have Active Captain data right in the software.
Old 08-02-2015, 21:11   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Don't get me wrong. I love OpenCPN and support it (heck I wrote a chart download tool for it)... but... There are times when it frustrates me. Just today I was pulling my hair out at how it displays chart data (by design).

I think its a good thing to have multiple ways to view charts. So I have both of them loaded.

I think you may be surprised at PolarView. Its pretty feature rich these days. Its also pretty nice to have Active Captain data right in the software.
OK, I'll have a look at it. Isn't the choice of cartography much more limited than OpenCPN? This could be a problem for me.
Old 08-02-2015, 21:35   #22

Quote:
OK, I'll have a look at it. Isn't the choice of cartography much more limited than OpenCPN? This could be a problem for me.
The only limitation I found, is it doesn't support CM93V2 or CM93V3. It supports S57/S63 and BSB. So any NOAA charts are fully supported. You can also purchase charts (right in the app) from Chartworld.

So yes I won't support the pirated CM93 charts that are floating around..
Old 09-02-2015, 04:17   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
So I have regular internet connections (and file server, print server etc.) on a separate network through a Huawei LTE router.
You could always just plug the Huawei into the USB port and use that as the hardwired bit of the system, while the gofree stays the wireless bit.

I'm assuming the Hauwei is the normal portable mifi type that I'm familiar with.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea, software