Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2013, 23:18   #1

Solar systems

Hi, we have just purchased a lagoon 380 in the BVI's and want to install a solar system and water-maker. Any advice on which panels / batteries and water-maker and any set up ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
danmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 00:04   #2

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler
Re: Solar systems

Depends how much you want to spend. I'm on a tight budget so went for standard solar panels off eBay (3 x 80W) and AGM marine batteries (2 x 100AH), but many on this site swear by the LiFePO4 batteries and would probably suggest you get the newer (but 3X the $) semi flexible panels.

As for how many to buy, you'll need to analyse power requirements first. Here's a thread where I did that for my first yacht:

http://www.cruiserlog.com/forums/f29...ysis-6431.html

I strongly suggest you use MPPT controllers, they're cheap enough now to compete with PWM and much more efficient.

Can't comment on the watermaker, they eat too much power for my purposes.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 19:34   #3

Boat: Lagoon 450, Bavaria Vision 40

Where do you want to install the solar panels. I extended the cockpit roof of our 450 with the solar panels. Lots of area (we installed 950W), they give you shade and rain protection in the cockpit. Several other uses too. Attachment point for the stern-tie gang plank hoist, place to put a man-over-over-recovery-hoist, close line, sun shades.The man-overe-board hoist gives me a feeling of safety to know that my wife can pull me back on board if I can't help myself.

Attachment 62666

I am going to rip the lead acid batteries out of our new 450 when she arrives this fall and replace them with LiFePo. I had enough of low voltage alarms when someone makes a cappuccino or makes a toast.

I had and will have again a Spectra Newport 400 MKII. The power consumption is so much less than other water makers. I am making due without a generator and spend the money instead on solar, energy saving water maker and on LiFePo batteries. Much quieter, less to fix, less money, less trouble, more fun.
roetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 19:46   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Is this deja vu all over again??

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 20:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmarc View Post
Hi, we have just purchased a lagoon 380 in the BVI's and want to install a solar system and water-maker. Any advice on which panels / batteries and water-maker and any set up ideas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!
I suggest you trudge through Handy Bob Solar blog HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work

there is a wealth of really good information here from a guy who konws how to live off-grid. This is a very long read but well worth it. It will save you wasted money and stuff and increase your probablility of success.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote