Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 19:10   #1

Some Questions Along the Road to Acquiring a Radio

OK, I'm liking the Standard Horizon brand radios and I'm trying to decide between the GX1150 (DSC) and the GX2000 (DSC, AIS input, and PA), combined with a PC chartplotter/GPS module (OpenCPN?).

The GX2000 manual has a section listing FCC Prohibited Communications. Prohibited includes TX/RX while vessel or radio is on land. None of the other manuals I have read list this prohibition. Is this for real, or am I taking it out of context. I was planning to also have a handheld radio for communication from shore party to ship. Is this one of those rules that is often bent, but should not abused?

I'd like the AIS functionality for possible future implementation. If the AIS can be connected directly to the chartplotter (PC via RS232-USB FTDI cable), is there any reason to have AIS capability in the radio? For instance, can the RS232 cable be split apart so the PC receives AIS from the transponder and sends GPS data to the radio (for DSC)? Would they share a common ground? Or, do I have to connect the AIS to the radio and then send AIS and receive GPS through the PC RS232?

Seeing the cost of AIS/VHF splitters, a separate antenna seems in order. Are there other costly issues with having multiple VHF antenna configs that make this splitter more desirable? Like, with my CB in my car, placement of the CB antenna causes severe degradation to my AM reception.

Thanks
-Brent
vbrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 19:20   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Go for the GX2100 with internal AIS.. or I now see a GX2150 already.

You officially need a shore-station license for use of VHF ashore but you're not gonna get one unless you have a marina or boatyard etc.

Our Standard Horizon handhelds are some of the best kit we have aboard... 8 years and going strong. Yeasu (the manufacturer) rules.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 19:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Shore stations for marine band radios are legal. The USCG, charter organizations and harbor masters have them. The abuse comes when someone is using them for non-marine purposes such as if two people are using hand helds on land talking to each other.

Use them in direct relation to boats and there should not be a problem.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 20:11   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrent View Post
The GX2000 manual has a section listing FCC Prohibited Communications. Prohibited includes TX/RX while vessel or radio is on land. None of the other manuals I have read list this prohibition. Is this for real, or am I taking it out of context. I was planning to also have a handheld radio for communication from shore party to ship. Is this one of those rules that is often bent, but should not abused?
You must have a marine utility station license to operate a handheld from land. To be eligible, you must provide some sort of service to ships or have control over a bridge or waterway. You can bend the rules if you like, but getting caught can be very expensive. Here's a recent FCC ruling against a violator.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 11:46   #5

Boat: Shuttleworth 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
... or I now see a GX2150 already.
It's on their website at least, but does it exist?

I've emailed them a couple of times over the past month about availability in the UK and had no reply. It's put me off them a bit, they're supposed to have great customer service...
elhix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 14:39   #6

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
I have the GX2000 with DSC, RAM and external class B AIS with built in GPS, and love it. The RAM is cool and lets me view the AIS targets and see my position, etc., in the cockpit.

Although the GX2100 has a built in AIS, it's only a receiver and doesn't transmit, and still requires an external GPS unit in order to show the AIS targets.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 16:03   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
I love these units and been thinking about the 2100.

BTW can any of them show the AIS relative to my course (display 'course up')?

I would like this feature but I am afraid it is not available.

I find most crew perplexed with the North-up orientation. I, too, am not all that quick to imagine where the AIS ship is, esp. if woken up midnight and with the boat running a course that was not there when I went to sleep (e.g. if tacking).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2011, 17:22   #8

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Yes, you can choose course uo or north up.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio