Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2017, 05:52   #31

Re: Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I actually rather agree with this. As I mentioned in a previous post -- I hate background music which just plays with no one really listening to it, and don't play it on my boat. It detracts from the other sounds which I think are worth paying attention to -- even if it's only a diesel engine running. I hate bland pop music and won't have it on my boat.

When I listen to music, I sit down and listen to it with concentration. And LOUD. When I do listen to music, I want access to my whole collection, and I want it to sound good, and to be easy to navigate through. Hence the question posed in this thread.

I don't often listen to music while sailing -- because I love to listen to the wind and the sea and other sounds. But sometimes some particular music just goes so well with some particular day of sailing, and it can be a magical experience. I'll never forget, some years ago, sailing downwind in really strong conditions, F8 and F9, surfing and flying over the water, and listening to Mahler's 6th at high volume. I have a video somewhere. It was one of those experiences you'll remember your whole life.
Pretty much what I wrote.... You need to keep your music on a PC and organize your libraries. The problem is that digital music files are not as good as the old analog vinyl or even CDs.... but I probably am wrong about that. My hearing doesn't merits expensive audio systems anymore...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:18   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
Pretty much what I wrote.... You need to keep your music on a PC and organize your libraries. The problem is that digital music files are not as good as the old analog vinyl or even CDs.... but I probably am wrong about that. My hearing doesn't merits expensive audio systems anymore...
I'm sorry about your hearing.

I have terabytes of music in lossless or other very good digital formats, which sound great.

I still have tons of vinyl, but I don't agree that that it's better than modern digital formats, which now contain huge amounts of detail and which can be processed to sound really great on modern equipment. Plus what vinyl nostalgists never talk about is the vast effort it takes to make and keep vinyl clean enough for audiophile quality reproduction, not to mention the huge cost of audiophile quality turntables, needles, etc., etc.

I was a long time holdout for chemical photography, but must admit now that modern digital photography has surpassed film in pretty much every way. I think we've pretty much reached that point with sound as well.

And in any case, it's a moving target, with digital getting better as every day goes by.

But in any case -- I have no problem with digital music and haven't had for quite a long time.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:41   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

One thing not mentioned is the playback software - I find you tend to be useless at creating your own playlists - end up with the same old songs, and being far from an apple fan the best I've come across is itunes genius feature. Not knowing what's coming up next is much more interesting and genius does such a good job of it. Often coming up with stuff I didn't even know was on there.
This just now from the limited memory on a ipod nano.

Onboard I go for a class D 20x off ebay, very low power draw and sounds fine, it's a boat not a soundproofed room

Might go for one of these soon to make it easier getting tablet/laptop onto the main speakers.
AUX Interface 2 X 25W Bluetooth 4.0 Audio Digital Power Amplifier Board TDA7492P

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:06   #34

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Digital music is junk pure and simple, however pushing it through Bluetooth makes it even worse.
I'd forget trying 5.1, reason is size of speakers required and the interior of a boat is not conducive to accurate sound reproduction.
It's just physics, to get real bass, you need as a min a 12" driver, and most boats do not have to space for that.
I'd second going with a quality automobile setup, especially for digital music there are some really decent systems out there now.
However auto systems are rated by pure fantasy, there are amps that supposedly put out a couple of hundred watts, but have a 5 amp fuse.
So if possible listen to what your buying and or buy from a reputable company.
I used to be somewhat of an audiophile, and will again once cruising is over, until then I put up with a good double din auto system, and a very old amp from the 80's with a graphic equalizer.
Sound is not that bad really, just don't have too high of expectations.

Good sound comes from vinyl, through a good tube amp and a pair of Klipschorns.
Save the 5.1 stuff for movies.
This week I gave my amp and front three channels and Sub of JBL reference speakers to my Son, my Daughter got the rear channels and I bought her a decent Yamaha amp that she can connect her phone to through Bluetooth, she asked for a Bluetooth speaker, but looking at them I just couldn't do that.

The new generation really does not know good sound quality, the days of reel to reel etc are gone, now it's all about small and convenient, over quality.
All true, but for non critical use aboard its just fine...at least for me.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't have an auxiliary input on [the Alpine unit], but I do see that something called an AI-net to 3.5mm cable exists, which might work.

I didn't think this was possible. If it is, then it is certainly the simplest solution, although the sound won't be the best, using the computer's own DAC and so forth. Might be good enough.
I respect a64pilot's opinions, but for the majority of people and users, and in non-pristine conditions, I'm convinced that today's digital files are usually more than good enough. For average people, they're certainly better and more convenient than vinyl, if you remember back to the average person's turntable setup and equipment, and the less than respectful handling of LPs.

The D/A in most modern computers is pretty good. While I'm working I listen to tunes mostly from Youtube, through some pretty good headphones (either AKG K270 or KOSS HV-1A). I've done some audio editing this way, and the quality and noise floor are both very good. I also have some 24bit/96kHz cards and external audio interfaces to compare with.

I would definitely try music direct from your computer into the Alpine, and judge for yourself.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote