Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 20:06   #1

Source for 22 gauge, 12 Conductor Cable

I'm reinstalling my W-H Autopilot after a refit and need to extend one of the cables, but can't find a source that will sell only 50 feet. AP model is P-3C.

The cable that is too short is the one that runs from the Pilot House Control box (PHC) to the Headings Electronic Box (HEB). This cable is made of a pair of cables composed of twelve 22 gauge conductors in a shielded sheath (22/12C SHIELDED CMR-CL2R).

This cable bundle is hardwired into the PHC and terminated on the loose end into a single DB25 male connector. My goal is to build a 20' extension cable with a male DB25 on one end and female DB25 on the other end. This should reach between the new locations of the PHC and HEB.

The problem I am encountering is that I can't find any source what sells fewer than 250' or 500' reels. I only need 50' total.

I have found some sources with reasonable prices on cut-to-length of 24/12, but I don't know if 24 gauge is large enough. Nothing in documentation regarding amps sent through this specific cable, so I can't calculate voltage drop/ampacity.

Does anyone know where I can buy 50' of 22/12 shielded CMR or if 24 gauge will be adequate for this? From what I can tell, there is just signal communication between PHC and HEB, so smaller gauge might be OK.

An alternative is to buy a pre-made serial cable like this one, but I don't know the wire gauge of each conductor.
25ft. DB25 Male to Female MLD Cable ZT1232190 at Ziotek.com

Thanks
scherzoja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:10   #2
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41
Re: Source for 22 gauge, 12 Conductor Cable

Did you try contacting Ziotek and ask about what the gauge of the conductors are in that cable?

dj
dlj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 21:39   #3

Re: Source for 22 gauge, 12 Conductor Cable

Not yet, it's the weekend, they're not open. I'll check on Monday.
scherzoja is online now   Reply With Quote