Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2024, 06:28   #1

Sperry Gyrocompass Information request

Hi,

My school received a Sperry SR-130 gyrocompass as a donation. This particular unit was manufactured in 1982 by Tokyo Keiko Co., Japan. I plan to get this instrument running in my lab and use it for demonstrating physics and earth science concepts.

In order to get it up and running without damaging any of the probably difficult-to-replace components I need service and operator's manuals for it. I've been scouring the internet and so far I'm coming up with nothing. Can anyone point me to potential sources for this information?

I have found some evidence that these units are still being used and as such, would need occasional service. Can anyone point me to a maritime service company that works with old Sperry products?

Any help on this would be appreciated.
thadwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 08:13   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Sperry Gyrocompass Information request

Have you tried contacting Sperry Marine directly?
If not, be worth while getting in contact

https://www.sperrymarine.com/contact...marine-offices

I have used a number of different Sperry Gyro Compasses, all have been good units, usually it's bearings which need replacement.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 08:34   #3

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I have tried contacting them. The response was that the units have long since been discontinued and they only ever had printed manuals and they cannot help.

So maybe you can help me with getting the electrical power supplies figured out? I have a background in electrical engineering and I feel that I could eventually figure it out myself but a bit of nudging in the right direction would sure help.

So from the research that I've done, I assume that the gyro motor needs to be supplied with 400hz 3-phase ac power. I don't know what voltage but I might be able to calculate it from the winding impedance.
Some questions that I have :
  • Can you confirm that 3phase, 400hz, 120vac powers the gyro?
  • What other power supply is required for running the servo system?
  • I also have the repeater/transmitter box. I don't need that, do i?
Old 10-04-2024, 09:37   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

The gyro compasses I have used, and as far as I can remember were supplied with 24V DC.
Best to try and locate a service company and have a chat with them.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 10:42   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

I can't help you in your quest, (sorry,) I just wanted to comment on what a remarkable device you've got.
I did some close examination on a Sperry Gyro, but it was a 1930s vintage.
Now, if I could get my hands on a Sperry Inertial Navigation system I could be enthralled for days on end.
Old 10-04-2024, 12:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
The gyro compasses I have used, and as far as I can remember were supplied with 24V DC.
Best to try and locate a service company and have a chat with them.
Yeah, a 5-minute chat with someone who has worked on those would be great. I'm trying to contact some but no success so far.

I am pretty sure it needs 3-phase AC power because I did find some documentation on a later unit, the SR-220. The SR-220 sits on top of an inverter unit, which is obviously missing from the SR-130. My instrument was manufactured in 1982 and service for it was terminated in about 1995.
Old 10-04-2024, 13:58   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadwald View Post
I am pretty sure it needs 3-phase AC power because I did find some documentation on a later unit, the SR-220. The SR-220 sits on top of an inverter unit, which is obviously missing from the SR-130.
So I just discovered that the TOKYO KEIKI/TOKIMAC ES-10A has an almost identical appearance to the Sperry SR-130. And I am able to download the manual. And it does appear to have a "static inverter" inside a separate power supply panel. The static inverter provides a 110VAC 400HZ 3-phase power to run the gyro motor. The power supply panel can run off either 110vac or 24VDC.

All this presupposes that the two models are similar ...
Old 10-04-2024, 18:12   #8

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

I have a "Operators Manual" for a Tokimec GM-21 complete gyro system.dated Dec. 1993

We installed several of these on local ferries in the '90s.
There is sufficient wiring & schematic diagrams included to perform install.

If I recall,these were sold under the Sperry & Robertson brands at that time.
I will att. a link to Tokimec for ref.
https://www.tokyokeiki.jp/e/products....html?pdid=210
Old 10-04-2024, 19:00   #9

The Tokimec GM-20/21 looks identical to the Sperry SR-220. Do those use the liquid floating gyroscope? It appears from the shape of the gyro that they do. They appear to have a considerably more complex electrical system than my instrument.

The Tokimec ES-11A looks identical to my Sperry SR-130. I was able to find a service manual for the ES-11A and it includes the complete electrical schematic, theory of operation, troubleshooting section, and servicing instructions. I think there is a strong chance that I may have found exactly what I was looking for.

The ES-11A does have an 120VAC 400hz 3-phase gyro motor. The azimuth servo system is powered by the same system supply. This power comes from a "static inverter" that is installed in a separate wall-mounted electrical enclosure and powered by either 110vac or 24vdc.
Old 10-04-2024, 19:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
... Now, if I could get my hands on a Sperry Inertial Navigation system I could be enthralled for days on end.
Being enthralled by such instruments and teaching others their working principles is pretty much the job description of a good physics teacher. Come and join the trade!
Old 10-04-2024, 21:40   #11

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Check ebay for used manuals. There are several for sale.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...anual&_sacat=0
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 21:56   #12

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadwald View Post
Being enthralled by such instruments and teaching others their working principles is pretty much the job description of a good physics teacher. Come and join the trade!
Alas, it's too late for me, I no longer have any plastic pocket protecters for ink pens, and don't have any more slide rules.
Nor a houndstooth coat with sewn on elbow leathers.
Old 11-04-2024, 00:19   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

In the one I used the 3 phase 110v supply was generated by a rotary inverter powered by 24V. Ships used 110v single phase normally with a battery backed 24v for essential navigation I.e.nav lights and electronics
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 01:35   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Have you tried looking under C-Plath, Litton, or Decca, as well as Sperry?

In 1962 C.Plath was acquired by Litton Industries. Sperry Marine was formed in 1997, with the combination of C.Plath, Decca Marine, and Sperry Marine. In 2001 Sperry Marine becomes part of the Northrop Grumman Corporation.

I don’t know if this will help:
SPERRY GYRO-COMPASS GYRO-PILOT MANUAL
https://ed-thelen.org/SperryManual.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 21:13   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Have you tried looking under C-Plath, Litton, or Decca, as well as Sperry?
I did some searching on C-Plath and Litton and came up short.

But after comparing my instrument to some descriptions in the Tokimac ES-11A manual, I am confident that these are at least the same generation/class machines. I found the service manual here, in case someone is interested:
https://pdfcoffee.com/es-11a-pdf-free.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I don’t know if this will help:
SPERRY GYRO-COMPASS GYRO-PILOT MANUAL
https://ed-thelen.org/SperryManual.html
Yeah, that's one of the first hits that I got when searching. It's an interesting read but the device is from the 1930s or so. Mine weights 36kg, whereas this one is probably closer to 500kg (just a guess).

The instrument I have shows signs of having been bolted to a deck but otherwise appears to be in excellent, near new condition. All the gimbal components were secured for shipping and with ties removed, move smoothly and freely. It was placed in a heated storage around 1995 and has been sitting there since. I'm a little concerned that if I spin it up without first applying some lube, I will quickly destroy the gyro bearings.
The manual specifies ANDOK-260 for bearing grease in the gyro bearings. Is anyone familiar with this product? Does anyone have any experience with that grease in terms of it getting old, grease drying out or the oils precipitating out of the grease? What are the chances that it's still good after 40 or more years? Is there a common oil that is compatible with the ANDOK-260, of which I could add a drop to each bearing and call it good?

The manual has instructions for how to service the rotor bearings but it's quite a chore.

Tags
compass