Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2016, 07:47   #1

Boat: Gulf 32
Splitting /tapping power off main wire run

Did some searches on the forums and haven't seen much that I thought would work (one post had some ideas but they were old links so I couldn't tell what people were thinking of).

Basic scenario is a single larger wire run with smaller wires split off of it to go to individual devices (USB chargers, low amp fans etc, nothing huge draw).

I'm comfortable with voltage drop / wire sizing etc, but have never had a clean way of splitting wire off a main run.

There are automotive style wire splices, but I hate these things and don't trust them in a car, much less marine:

I generally solder all my connections when going end to end b-c that seems like the gold standard for a secure connection, but when I try to solder an end of wire into the middle of a run (once I get a little of the middle stripped) it just looks like a mess and I don't feel like I can seal it up well with heat shrink / adhesive or anything secure like that.

Other ideas? Do I cut the main wire and then solder three ends together (incoming from 12v, outgoing to rest of run, outgoing to appliance) after twisting them together (with the ends all pointing the same direction)? Twist all three ends together pointing same way then crimp over them?

There must be a good way, yes?

-- Bass
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote