Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2013, 10:31   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 31 / Defever 40
SPX-10 autopilot st70 controller splicing

Help I bought a SPX-10 corepack and ST-70 controller. This is a new install. I bought what the tech guy at Raymarine said to buy but I am now finding out that the ST-70 will not hook up to the SPX-10 without going through a seatalkng backbone. I have the spur cable that goes into the pilot computer and it plugs into the back of the ST-70 controller but I get "no Pilot" showing up.

I have looked on the net and found a forum saying that the spur needs to go into a backbone and back out thru another spur into the ST-70. Also there is mention about needing to have terminators in the unused ends of the backbone tees or it will not work.

I bet there is an easier solution such as cut and splice? can anyone advise me here? It is a basic auto pilot with no added electronics hooked to the system. I drove 100's of miles to the boat thinking I had what I ned and now I am watching a weather window close. This sucks!!
cd30ketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:29   #2

Boat: Sabre 38
Re: SPX-10 autopilot st70 controller splicing

You will need to purchase the raymarine nmea starter kit which will give you the items required to put together the NMEA backbone. The kit will give you the 12v power drop several "T" and the two 120 ohm terminator. The st70 will plug into one of the 'T". The 12v drop will plug into a second "T" and the core will plug into the third "T" THe 120 ohm terminators will plu into each end of the nmea backbone.
You can not plu the st70 directly into the corepack.

The Raymarine forum is a good souce of information.

Raymarine Technical Forum

George
george123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2013, 09:38   #3
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: SPX-10 autopilot st70 controller splicing

Is the ST70 an older non-SeatalkNG (next generation) controller? I replaced my core pack and control Head last year and used an older control head that was a non-NG unit so that there wasn't any problems with the Seatalk versions.

The SPX10 will take either the older Seatalk or the NG. But if you are mixing older ST and NG instruments you need to bridge them by sending the NG to the older unit.

On the RM site there is a manual for Seatalk that goes though it all.

Tags
autopilot