Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2007, 20:33   #1

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
SR50 SIRIUS Weather Receiver

Has anyone had any experience with these units yet?

If it's as good as it sounds it'll be better then the SSB's weather fax, but research first!

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/d...=43&pageId=848
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 20:49   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
del, The units are great and as advertised but there is the subscription costs. These are available through Garmin also. Pretty much the same info you can get on the NWS and NOAA sites. They are only available in the US that I am aware of.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 20:55   #3

This is what they advertise:

Quote:
Available for purchase in the U.S., SIRIUS Marine Weather Service coverage includes the 48 contiguous states, most of Canada, Mexico and waters extending hundreds of miles into the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean. A monthly SIRIUS Marine Weather subscription is required to receive forecasts onboard.
Which is $29.95 monthly for now!

http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/a...9427&type=news

I just wonder if it will extend to the S. Pacific and S. Asia. Even out in the middle of the Pacific would be nice but, I guess, supply & demand would have to modivate them......................_/)
Old 03-03-2007, 21:33   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
del, these are based on the same coverage area as Sirius radio. You can get the weather subscription without the radio sub. The coverage is limited to the sat footprints. Hundreds of miles out means at best a hundred or two. Doubt it will reach the halfway point on either ocean.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34 - "Raven"
I was very intrigued by the Sirius weather service. I looked into the rate structure and found that the 29.99 level really only forcasts a few hours out for things like surface pressure, wind, and waves. You can get up to 24 hours or so with the next level (59.99), or 96 to 120 hour forcasts for the 99.99/month fee.

If, however, they are only receivable in coastal areas, I can't see that they would be worth the bucks. I wonder what it might take for market forces to make this type of service feasible offshore?
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29   #6

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
I just looked up the foot print map and it appears to reach the southern Caribe, our preferred cruising grounds. It looks like a neat idea, but kind of expensive and questionable as it is a relatively new service and the footprint is mostly north & central America. Purchasing the Raymarine equipment and pay monthly for the service will proabably tear a cruising kitty apart!

I perfer the Marine HF and HAM as it is flexible, interactive, and generally someone is there who will rely if your reception is poor. Besides the daily wx nets there are also some great weather routing servcies like Herb Southbound II (free) and Chris Parker (charges for the service, but anyone can listen) who not only provide the info for your area and destination but helps to make sure you understand the impacts and the reasoning. I have heard them repeat and explain the forecast for folks not quite catching it.

All of the wx folks will provide summries and impacts into your area if asked. We even had Eric (trini) correct some of NOAA's forecasts. So the wx reciever might be a good aid but don't discount the other sources for your all around wx services. We left with only short wave and wx recievers and quickly learned the value of two communications especially with planning for a passage or listening about huricanes!
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 13:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_makai
All of the wx folks will provide summries and impacts into your area if asked. We even had Eric (trini) correct some of NOAA's forecasts. So the wx reciever might be a good aid but don't discount the other sources for your all around wx services. We left with only short wave and wx recievers and quickly learned the value of two communications especially with planning for a passage or listening about huricanes!
Yeah! I would take that as good advice. I guess I was getting my hopes up too soon. Maybe another 5 years when the demand is higher the weather receivers will be more efficient and spread to cover open seas'............_/)
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55   #8

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
XM beats Sirius Wx

The new issue of Practical Sailor does a great analysis of both weather products. They chose the XM service as superior.