Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 11:52   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I have the lists from Dockside plus those that came with the radio documentation and others that I have found on the web

What I am looking for is more along the lines of someone that is on their radio and this forum that is willing to help me with a radio check.
Probably someone will volunteer. I would but am not back aboard until Feb. Evening hours are generally your best propogation with least interference.

The cruising nets (NW or SW Carib) will do a radio check for you. Just chime in during "general check ins" or just before the official net start time...there are often a few cruisers chattering on frequency just before the net starts.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:08   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

Unfortunately, I believe ShipCom has suspended operations (that is/was the "marine operator" in Mobile Alabama). If so, it will be a big loss to the boating community. They were always there on several frequencies with big antennas, weather broadcasts, traffic lists, and a cheery voice.

As a former customer, I got a notice from ShipCom recently that they were closing my account. My impression is that ShipCom overall will continue operations, but focussing on more profitable lines of business...not the couple of times a year WLO marine operator user like me, but I sure did like knowing it was another option.

Speaking of propogation, there is of course an app for that. I just installed "MUF Predictor" (yes with one "F" for "Maximum Usable Frequency"). Its basic, but gives a general graph of best frequencies and times between two points. Below is a screen shot of the plot between Guatemala and Panama.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131209_141244.png
Views:	124
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	71799  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:19   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: SSB active nets

Cap Erict3,

You might check with Paul Elliott. He ran a radio check op a couple of months ago. Maybe he'll do it again.

See his thread here...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-114041.html
Old 09-12-2013, 12:36   #19

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Cap Erict3, You might check with Paul Elliott. He ran a radio check op a couple of months ago. Maybe he'll do it again. See his thread here... http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-a-114041.html
Thanks Hud,

Reading Paul's thread is what gave me the idea to attempt to coordinate my tests though the forum. I must say I was surprised to see that his efforts did not inspire a continuing thread.