Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2014, 04:42   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
SSB backstay standoffs

I think I need standoffs to keep my wire off my backstay until it gets to the antenna portion of my back stay. Anyone got any good ideas of what to use?
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 04:51   #2

Boat: Crowther 15.2m
Re: SSB backstay standoffs

Hi RDW
What I did was cut a outboard fuel hose into 1" or 25mm lengths then pass a black cable tie though and around your HF wire back though the hose around your rigging stay and pull tight
Works well,looks good and cheap
two fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 07:02   #3

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I used 1/2" pvc cut into 2" lengths with notches on each end (made with a round file) to cradle the stay and gto.

I did have fuel hose but it was "uglier".

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2014, 13:40   #4

Boat: Catalina C-42

You can use 1/2" pvc pipe. Drill holes in the pipe matching your rigging wire diameter. Space the holes at whatever length you want the standoff to be. Cut at each hole. Makes perfect standoffs that are pre-notched to fit your rigging and GTO wire. Secure with plastic wire ties as other posters have described.
rodney_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:15   #5

If its black fuel hose it means it has carbon in it. It could possibly arc!

PVC is also not the best insulator for RF voltages and currents. Its very easy to burn or melt especially when used with a backstay antenna.

Whatever you use for a backstay insulator put the material in the microwave oven with a cup of water. If it gets warm or starts to melt its no good as a RF insulator.

The best material for insulators thats readily available is white plastic kitchen cutting boards. This stuff is tough and indestructible. Put a thin film of Dow Corning silicone grease on it and its close to being the perfect RF insulator. The best RF insulator is teflon rod which can be a bit expensive but is really a overkill.
plebian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 05:24   #6

Boat: Little Harbor 46

On my Sabre I used fibreglass tube available from my hardware store, with the cable ties described above, and it worked, but when I bought my Little Harbor, it came with beautifully worked flat fibreglass spacers with cable retainers screwed at each end. Go with the cable tie method its cheaper!
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 07:30   #7

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Don't worry about melting PVC standoffs at the power levels of 150 - 200 watts. It isn't going to happen. Probably no problem with fuel hose either. I used that for quite a while before switching to PVC and observed no ill effects with either one.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 08:06   #8
Eternal Member

For several years I've used 5/8" solid nylon rods, cut into 1.5-2.0 inch lengths, and with a hole drilled lengthwise thru the center of each.

From there, it's a piece of cake to put them in place with standard black wire ties. Pass the tie thru the rod, go around the backstay, back into the rod and out the other side, and fasten the loose ends together around the GTO-15 transmission line. Neat, secure, effective.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb