Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 04:33   #1

SSB Emergency Calling Frequencies

hi there, i have not been offshore for quite a while, and so forgot the frequencies to use when making emergency calls on the ssb radio. can anyone prompt me please? many thanks!
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 05:30   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: ssb emergency calling frequencies

The distress freqs are...

2182 kHz
4125 kHz
6215 kHz
8291 kHz
12290 kHz
16420 kHz

Cheers,
Old 22-04-2011, 05:37   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: ssb emergency calling frequencies

U.S. COAST GUARD NAVIGATION CENTER ➥ U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center

MARITIME COMMUNICATIONS
Maritime Communications

MF & HF CHANNEL INFORMATION
MF & HF Channel Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 22:17   #4

Re: SSB Emergency Calling Frequencies

muchas gracias!
yzlian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2011, 04:06   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

De nada.
Old 23-04-2011, 10:31   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzlian View Post
hi there, i have not been offshore for quite a while, and so forgot the frequencies to use when making emergency calls on the ssb radio. can anyone prompt me please? many thanks!
yzlian,
In addition to the freqs Hud3 posted and links posted by Gord.....here's some detailed info for you...

1) Since you're asking about "the frequencies to use when making emergency calls on the ssb radio", I'm making the asumption that you are asking about voice frequencies and that you do not have a MF/HF DSC radio????

So, with that in mind, please understand that while the USCG (and some other nation's coast guards, such as Aus, etc.) does monitor 4125, 6215, 8291, and 12290 khz .(for the most part, depending on what USCG coast station you're attempting to contact)...
Most ships at sea do NOT....and most nation's coastal stations, that do monitor voice freqs, typically only monitor 2182 (and not very reliably at that...)
(See this page for details of the USCG monitoring
U.S. Coast Guard Navigation Center - HF Distress and Safety Watchkeeping Schedule )

Since the GMDSS system has been implimented worldwide more than 12 years ago, all SOLAS-grade / GMDSS vessels at sea are required to monitor DSC freqs only......(VHF ch. 70 and 2187.5khz, 8414.5khz, and "one other HF-DSC frequency" are the rules, but mosy vessels have a multi-channel DSC scanning receiver which monitors all 6 int'l GMDSS DSC frequencies...)

And, even for a decade or so before the GMDSS regs, vessels that were required to maintain a radio watch, only monitored VHF ch. 16 and using a dedicated "tone-squelched" 2182khz receiver to listen for an "alarm generator modulated" signal on 2182khz, NOT a voice signal on 2182khz....

So, please understand that if you're venturing far offshore, in areas where the USCG is not likely to hear your signal on 4125, 6215, 8291, or 12290khz.....the you should not expect to be heard by hardly anyone else on those frequencies.....

2) You should REALLY consider a MF/HF DSC radio, such as an Icom M-802 / M-801E, Furuno FS-1570 / FS-2570, or a Sailor / Thrane & Thrane HF/HF DSC radio.....

It's been over 20 years since there was anyone worldwide monitoring of Maritime HF Voice Frequencies....
Even before the world moved to DSC (GMDSS), we had "2182 tone receivers", etc....

Global Maritime Distress and Safety System
Digital Selective Calling

3) If you're venturing far offshore, in areas where USCG coast stations are not likely to hear you, AND you do not have (and are not going to install) an MF/HF DSC radio.....then you might also find other HF freqs useful for emergency communications.....

Particularly 14.300mhz USB......
This is a "20 meter" ham radio frequency (which can ONLY be used by non-hams in an emergency), that is useful many hours of the day....
Depending on where you're sailing, you may find that you'll be in easy contact with 100's of hams on this freq for more than 12 - 18 hours each day....
You should make certain that this freq is programmed into your HF radio....

And, depending on where you're sailing, there are many other ham freqs that would be of great help to you in an emergency....
So, please let us know where you are voyaging.....

There's much more....but that's it for now....

I hope this helps..

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 15:33   #7
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

I agree with ka4wja above: 14.300 MHz is a good choice.

If you are truly in such dire straights that you won't mind having to later explain yourself to the FAA, I suggest getting a handheld aviation band radio and making your distress call on 121.5 MHz. The range to an aircraft in flight at cursing altitudes is at least 100 miles, and all the airlines monitor the frequency.

The FCC rules permit using any frequency with any mode to attract attention in a life-or-death situation.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 22:19   #8

sat phone, PLB, epirb, spot, delorme etc. SSB is dead.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 16:28   #9

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm not going to bite into this argument.....as it's rather absurd! For so many reasons....Not the least of which is that these things all do different things....and none of them can do what the modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone can do!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
sat phone, PLB, epirb, spot, delorme etc. SSB is dead.

But, resurrecting a 4 and 1/2 year old thread does have some merit here, cause there have been some changes!!

FORGET 2182khz all together!!!

Have a look at this page....
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=cgcommsCall

Read my posting above (post #6)....
(and, I still recommend a modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB-Radiotelephone...)

Further, you should all have 4125, 6215, 8291, 12290, and 16420khz programmed into your radios as the "Safety / Calling Channels"...
And, if you don't have a modern MF/HF-DSC-SSB Radiotelephone, you really should know which one of these freqs to use, and the various times of day, to call the limited number of stations (USCG, NZ Taupo Radio, and AMSA) still monitoring them!!

I hope this helps...

fair winds to all...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, ssb