Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2014, 08:10   #1

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
SSB(icom 710rt/pactorIIe)and Winlink assistance requested

Looking for recommendations for someone to help with SSB/pactor/winlink set up in the Melbourne, Florida area. Know anyone?

-----OR------

Is there someone here that is willing to do a little "handholding" with me to get this all working before we depart in a few months?

We have installed an Icom 710rt with a pactor IIe (upgraded to III) and have a Winlink account. I have installed both RMS Express and Airmail. Here is what I am troubleshooting right now:

1) I have been able to send and receive email/grib file requests and data in the past, but not having success now. I think I might be getting different lights on the modem but not sure (and don't know what lights I should be seeing) RMS/Airmail are seeing modem OK.

2) I also cannot get the computer to remotely change channels on radio ( I have the 8088 cable and my com ports have been verified) I still have to do this manually.

3) I am still confused on how to properly use and set the RF gain and tune.

I have read the Gordon West, Capt. Mardi Brown, and Dockside Radio books, and got my general HAm license but still need a little one-on-one help.

Thank You!
Deborah
Old 21-10-2014, 03:45   #2

Boat: Wibo 1100 36 ft
Re: SSB(icom 710rt/pactorIIe)and Winlink assistance requested

I'm afraid I can't help you. I have a Signalink from Tigertronics instead of a Pactor modem Tigertronics Home Page and a Kenwood TS50 transceiver that needs manual tuning.

I usually put the RF gain buttons on the Signalink in the middle and the frequency you have to tune to depends on atmospheric conditions. The offset from the station you're tuning to is displayed by Winlink with the help of the ITS HF Propagation software.

Only thing I can offer is a Pactor manual. Hopefully it tells you which lights should light up. http://www.liveantares.com/pdf/Manua...anual40usb.pdf

Perhaps the fact that the transceiver can't change stations automatically anymore is a simple setting in the transceiver? I was rather surprised to see how many options my Kenwood has. I assume it's not in the software since you both have Sailmail and Winlink and probably have a problem with both.
Draikhyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, pactor, ssb