Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 19:25   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
SSB Tech in Florida

I need help getting my ssb up and running before we head over to the Bahamas. Right now we are in Central Fl. Titusville, and then further south. Anyone know who I can contact either private or commercial that can help. I know the radio is working it's an Icom700 pro as I do hear some communications but they are very weak, I think that means either the ground or backstay antenna need to be looked at. Any help would be great.
Thanks
captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 19:56   #2
Eternal Member

Here's a list of radio technicians recommended by Gary Jensen of Dockside Radio, including one in Miami: SSB Technicians

Note also that this Sunday the Waterway Radio and Cruising Club (WRCC) is hosting a picnic at Wickham Park in Melbourne, FL -- 2500 Parkway Drive Melbourne, FL 32935 tel (321) 255-4307. There will be lots of sailing hams in attendance and I'm sure you'll be able to get some help there. All are welcome.

Also, this weekend the WRCC will be holding ham exams and will be having a table at the annual Seven Seas Cruising Association Gam in Melbourne. The Gam begins tomorrow and runs thru Sunday. Again, lots of marine SSB enthusiasts will be in attendance. Info on the Gam can be found on the SSCA home page:
www.ssca.org

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 15:37   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Electronics Unlimited here in Ft. Lauderdale is another good source. You might also chat up boaters in your are that have SSB and see if you can get an idea of the problem.
Old 12-11-2010, 18:13   #4

Boat: Island Packet IP38
I agree with btrayfors. HAMS are the way to go. Your problem may be the band you are on. Propagation plays a huge part in what you hear Every Night at 7:00PM Central the 3905 Century club meets on 7.178.0 HAMS from all of the US will be on there so you will hear a lot of different signals. 14.300.0 is usually active during the day. There is a cruisers net list at docksideradio.com, I never hear a lot that is not HAM traffic anymore. Titusville has an amateur group The Titusville Amateur Radio Club you could contact and see if anyone wanted to volunteer to help for a free lunch. HAM's are usually fluent in their radio knowledge and like to use them. I am guessing that there is an AT-130 between the radio and backstay. When you transmit after the at-130 tunes if the Icom is not stepping back the power everything is probably normal.

If all else fails look for insulated backstays on other boats and ask for help.
Bucky205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida