Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2010, 06:56   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
SSB Test

I am brand new to ssb. I am on my boat and reading the books and manuels. When I switch from channel to channel I do not seem to hear much of anything other than stattic. For example ch 62,63,64 are listed as BBC. I would think I could hear their broadcast. I have a IC-M802 installed by Morris Yachts so the most likely problem is user error on my part. I have the volumn up. I was able to hear a carribean net last night over a lot of static. My RF gain is set at 9. My aautomatic gain control is on. I have turned my squlch off. Still can not hear BBC or CBS.'S
Suggestions?
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 07:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
here is a list of nets that you can try listening for

Ham Maritime Mobile Nets
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2010, 08:11   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
As a fan of foreign broadcast stations, it can be frustrating to push the button for the station and hear nothing.

I don't know the correlation between channels and frequencies but here are some suggestions:
1. Some frequencies come in better than other at different times of the day. You may have to search a bit for one that comes in well.
2. Some stations beam their signals to areas other than North America (assuming that's where you are). Radio listening guides generally have a list of stations and times when they're beaming to NA.
3. Sometimes you're not going to get anything due to atmospheric conditions. One thing to try is listening to WWV on 5Mhz, 10MHz 15MHz, and 20MHz. The station, located in Colorado puts out a booming signal. At 18 past the hour they broadcast the propogation report and that can tell you a lot about what the atmospherics are like.
4. I'm not that familiar with the M802 but chances are if there are channels for the BBC you should be able to receive them. If the M802 has a general coverage receiver you should try the local AM stations, then try some ham frequencies. In the early morning the 6MHz frequencies are fairly active and you might be able to get some additional info on reception.
5. Noise on board can block reception. I had a real problem with some fluorescent lights and the bilge pump. They would block about everything and give me lots of static.
6. Make sure your radio is properly set up. Missing a good ground or having a bad connection in the antenna coax can degrade reception.
7. Sometimes your location and propagation don't mesh and you get nothing.
8. You might chat ups some other cruisers and get the frequencies and times for what they listen to. Chances are if they can receive it properly you should. If not then you know the problem's on your end.

Some links:
International Broadcaster Web Sites
Broadcast Listening : Shortwave Radio: BCL Resources

Hope that helps.
Old 29-05-2010, 14:44   #4
RDW

thank you for all your help. I got some phone help from Dockside Radio. They are good people. I have a noise problem on my boat I need to figure out. I took the boat away from the marina and that did not help. I get the most bars of noise when my radar and gps are on.
Dockside is going to work with me some more Tuesday. Thanks again for your help
What do alll the letter stand for after your name?
I am in Virginia. Olverson's Lodge Creek marina just off the Patomac is the exact location. Where are you?
Old 29-05-2010, 15:10   #5
RDW

thank you for all your help. I got some phone help from Dockside Radio. They are good people. I have a noise problem on my boat I need to figure out. I took the boat away from the marina and that did not help. I get the most bars of noise when my radar and gps are on.
Dockside is going to work with me some more Tuesday. Thanks again for your help
What do alll the letter stand for after your name?
I am in Virginia. Olverson's Lodge Creek marina just off the Patomac is the exact location. Where are you?