Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2011, 13:13   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David
SSB Value

I have the oppoutunity to purchase an Icom IC M-710 SSB radio and the AT-130e auto tuner. It appears that the units are in good to average condition and I am prepared to invest $85.00 to have them checked by an Icom service dealer prior to buying. Baes on the check my purchase and offer is on the basis that everything is in working order.

The Radio does not have a Mic.

Not wanting to get into a debate on the equipment, I agree an 802 is a better radio.

Thus my question is???

WHAT IS A FAIR VALUE for the Radio and Auto assuming it is in good working order and is in average condition.

I am not sure of the age however somebody might be able to help on this, the serial # is 01956.

Fletch
Camp David
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 13:38   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: SSB VALUE

$500 - $700 depending on condition and age. I just bought one as a spare for $450 in excellent condx.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2011, 13:51   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

e-bay shows the ssb at that price range but you would have to add $400 for the tuner. I'm selling mine with a weather fax and was asking $1200 (I think) so I'm going to lower it to $1000.
Old 13-03-2011, 15:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Personally think a ham HF radio is way more useful and cheaper. Yes you can get ham frequencies on a marine HF but tuning them is often a major issue. Be sure you can easily get on the ham bands especially 20 and 40 meters with the 710. Also, does it have the continuous transmit ability so it will work with Pactor Modems should you want to get email and gribs afloat.

FYI, you can get a Ham ICOM 718 radio used for $400 and a new one under $700 http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/947. If you want to go with a fancier radio, the ICOM 7200 are around $1200 new. The ham radios put out less wattage so tuners can be cheaper. I'd still reccomend getting an SGC 230 tuner no matter what radio you get. They are around $500 new and don't seem to ever come down much below that http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/483. The reduction in wattage has not been an issue with getting through in my experience, btw. There is very little traffic on the marine bands while the ham bands have radio nets that cover the globe and local area networks as people want them. Ham radios can easily be opened up to transmit on the Marine Frequencies for emergencies. Not technically legal for non emergency use, however.

You can pass the General Class Exam with a days serious practice with the online test prep sites even if you not technically oriented.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssb