Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2024, 11:41   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
SSB, VHF Licenses needed?

I am a bit confused as to what i need to legally operate the SSB and vhf radios aboard my boat.-- we are USA based and have a ships station lic (radio station authorization) already and have been assigned our call sign and MMSI. do i need some type of license for me to operate the radios? A restricted radiotelephone operator permit? Any info from those more in the know would be appreciated.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:53   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: SSB, VHF Licenses needed?

Yes, the restricted radiotelephone operator permit will work. There are several classes of permits and licenses which have different requirements and privileges. The restricted radiotelephone operator permit is the easiest to get and allows you to operate an SSB or VHF on a yacht. There is no test, only a fee, and the permit lasts a lifetime with no need to renew.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...m/commercial-0
Old 02-07-2024, 12:12   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Yes, the restricted radiotelephone operator permit will work. There are several classes of permits and licenses which have different requirements and privileges. The restricted radiotelephone operator permit is the easiest to get and allows you to operate an SSB or VHF on a yacht. There is no test, only a fee, and the permit lasts a lifetime with no need to renew.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...m/commercial-0

Those are the U.S. rules, so assuming the OP is a U.S. citizen, and the boat U.S. flagged, then yes.

If the boat is not U.S. flagged, then it will need a station license from the flag state. If the owner is not a U.S. citizen (or perhaps resident is enough, have to check), then he will need to follow the rules of his home countries. Most countries require and actual exam to get a license to operate marine VHF, and marine SSB often requires a separate ticket, a "long range cert" it's called in the UK.

Note that the permit to operate marine SSB does not allow one to operate on the ham bands. For that, an amateur radio license is needed.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Many thanks for the info-- have applied for the permit via FCC website -- thanks again
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:56   #5

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Note: You don't need a license within the USA to operate a VHF radio, and you don't even need to license the radio. You do need the license for the SSB.
Quote:
You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft. The term "voluntary ships" does not apply to the following:
https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations
Old 02-07-2024, 14:23   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Don't forget to consider getting a Ham license, especially if you have a radio capable if Ham bands. Assuming you find the SSB helpful and enjoyable, then a Ham license might be in your future.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Don't forget to consider getting a Ham license, especially if you have a radio capable if Ham bands. Assuming you find the SSB helpful and enjoyable, then a Ham license might be in your future.

+1 There is far more activity on the ham bands, than marine SSB.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:03   #8

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Here is a general answer to your question regarding licenses for radio equipment and operators of radio equipment:

In the USA, the FCC regulates radio-frequency transmissions. Essentially all transmitters are licensed, but in many cases they are not individually licensed, but rather licensed "by rule."

A radio transmitter licensed by rule will not have an individual station license nor will it have an individual callsign issued by the FCC.

In the case of a recreational boat that is not required by any other regulation to be equipped with a VHF Marine Band radio and is not a power-driven vessel larger than 20-meters in length, that boat is considered as being "voluntarily-equipped" with a radio transmitter, and that radio transmitter is licensed by rule.

Again, the general case is that anyone operating a radio transmitter must have an operator's license or permit. However, again, for transmitters licensed by rule the need for an operator's license is usually waved. However, anyone operating a transmitter must still conform to the regulations regarding operating that transmitter, and the FCC will enforce that.

ASIDE: a classic case of FCC enforcement was an action against a large car dealership who thought it would be great to use the Family Radio Service (FRS) band to conduct their business. They bought dozens of FRS radios and had all their employees using them to communicate. The FCC became aware of this, and fined the dealership many thousands. of dollars for violating the rules regarding operating an FRS radio.

Back to recreational boating, if you operate a VHF Marine Band radio on a voluntarily equipped boat you do not need an operator's license as long as the boat and its operation meets specific qualifications. To qualify for exemption from needing an operator's license, the boat must be "operating domestically."

Operating domestically means:

--the boat does not travel to foreign ports
--the boat does not transmit radio communication to foreign stations

If you do not maintain those criteria, then you need both a ship station license, and an operator's permit.

In many radio services, operation of a radio is permitted when the operator holds the lowest-category of operator's license, called the Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit. In the process of obtaining the permit, the application avows that he is familiar with the regulations covering the operation of the radio be will be using and will abide by them.

The Amateur Radio Service requires both a station license and an operator's license. The operator's license accords operating privileges in various tiers, with the frequency bands allowed, the mode of communication, and in some cases the authorized power varying by license. All require passing an exam.

For many years now, the FCC no longer conducts the examinations for Amateur Radio operating license, and instead has authorize volunteer examiners to administer the operator's license examinations. Generally there will be a cadre of volunteer examiners (VE's) in most area who can arrange for an examination.

The FCC website covers this at

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...radio-stations

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...-radio-service

Regarding the rationale for the FCC requiring you to have a ship station license and an operator's license if you sail to a foreign port, I believe this is related to radio treaty agreements among signatory nations to grant reciprocity to maritime stations, permitting them to operate in a particular nation's waters as long as they are properly licensed for the maritime radio service in their own country.

For example, when the passenger liner QM2 sails into an American port and wants to use its ship radios in USA water, it does not need to apply for an FCC license. It is granted reciprocal operating privileges because it is properly license in its home port, England or the U.K.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 06:16   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I recommend you also get a GMRS license (lifetime, just a one time fee) and study what you can do with it.

Then, look into LoRa.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, ssb, vhf