Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 04:55   #1

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
ST60 Question

For two seasons, my wind instruments were intermittent. I tested and retested all the voltages at the junction box and the back of the meter. I reconnected all of the connections. After almost all "repairs," everything seemed to be fine. And then, on subsequent days, there would be nothing but dashes on the display.

I had the connection at the top of the mast checked, the transducer checked, and as a desperate measure, I had the ST60 display replaced. Nothing fixed the problem.

So...the day before yesterday, after a discussion with a marine electronics guy, I went and rebooted the C70 that is connected to the ST60 via a SeaTalk cable. Guess what!!??? On reboot, the wind instrument readings on the C70 AND the ST60 came up fine.

So, here's my question: It seems to me that sometimes, when I throw the Instruments switch on the electrical panel and both the C70 and ST60 come on line at once (meaning the C70 was left on), there is some sort of lag in the arrival of wind data to the C70. When that happens, it seems as if the C70 locks into "there is no wind data available" mode and simply won't allow either display to show wind readings, even when the wind data is fed to it afterwards.

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Old 11-07-2013, 04:59   #2

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: ST60 Question

Are you providing power to the instruments via Seatalk from the plotter? You may want to break out the power cable from Seatalk and wire the instruments on a separate circuit.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:25   #3

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: ST60 Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Are you providing power to the instruments via Seatalk from the plotter? You may want to break out the power cable from Seatalk and wire the instruments on a separate circuit.
Hmmm... good question. 12 volts is being delivered directly to the back of the ST60 display by the wires leading from the junction box. I honestly don't know if the SeaTalk connection is delivering 12v also.