Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2020, 19:22   #1

Boat: Morgan 323
Stand-Alone Fishfinder - What are you using?

Hey all, got some unexpected time on my hands and in need of a fun project and could use some experienced input.

I have two relic thru-hull transducers I have removed (stopped working) that were previously outputting speed and depth. I plan on installing a triducer in one spot that will be integrated into a networked system including AIS, AP, Wind, Speed, Depth, & Temp, which will be viewed on a nav computer, a couple I70s and a couple Ipads. (comments/suggestions on this welcome too)

For the other spot, I want to install a back-up depth sensor and got thinking maybe to install a stand-alone fish finder. My primary systems triducer will likely be the DST800 (235khz) so the secondary would need to be outside of that frequency. My question is, what would be a decent backup on its own separate system? Ideally would like to keep the 2" hole the way it is for the new transducer but could be persuaded otherwise. Not married to any particular brand since it won't need to talk to anything else.

Primary means of use is for long-term cruising.

Thanks for your input, and hoping everyone is staying healthy. Crazy times!
SailAwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 05:19   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Stand-Alone Fishfinder - What are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailAwy View Post
For the other spot, I want to install a back-up depth sensor and got thinking maybe to install a stand-alone fish finder. My primary systems triducer will likely be the DST800 (235khz) so the secondary would need to be outside of that frequency. My question is, what would be a decent backup on its own separate system? Ideally would like to keep the 2" hole the way it is for the new transducer but could be persuaded otherwise. Not married to any particular brand since it won't need to talk to anything else.

Our fishfinder secondary is a Furuno FCV-585, 50/200 Hz, with an Airmar B744V transducer. All that doesn't interfere with our 235 Hz DST instrument.

-Chris
Old 19-03-2020, 06:07   #3

We had a nice Raymarine ST-60 depth sounder for several years, but when it crapped out 2 seasons ago I replaced it with a Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder (~CDN$150 complete). It has a transom-mount transducer which I mounted inside to shoot through the hull. Works great, and because of built-in GPS, it also can mark locations, follow a course, and report SOG.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 06:17   #4

Zero degree 50/200 mhz Airmar B117 is two inch. Here's a list of compatible bottom machines: Cross Reference Guide | AIRMAR

Mate it with this and you also have a back up GPS with a 6 inch screen:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garmi...9?recordNum=89
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 06:50   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I believe in your Morgan it has a solid f/g hull, so a depth finder can shoot thru the hull and be a good back up.
Either glue the probe facing directly to the hull (no air bubbles) or glue on a PVC tube or other container. Fill w/water and insert probe. Add a cover (plastic wrap) to slow down the water evaporation.
We did this on our boat w/~2" thick hull and worked fine until we could pull the boat and do a proper install. We have a back up depth probe for our system, so I kept our pvc tube in place if we needed it another time.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 18:45   #6

We use a Simrad S2009 as a display/driver and an Airmar B60. Awesome at finding fish down to 500+ feet and bottom down to 3000ft. You can also use a P79 in-hull transducer and not put a hole in the hull.

Both run at 50/200 kHz and will not interfer with your 235kHz unit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot__2019-04-23_19.33.16.png
Views:	69
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	210912  
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 04:17   #7

I had a Furuno FCV627 on my last boat and loved it. Installing either a 628 (newer replacement model), or a FCV-588 on the next boat. The 588 is a larger screen, and can do 1kw vs 600w. Great little units, and very reasonably priced. NMEA 0183 only, so keep that in mind.
Old 23-03-2020, 09:48   #8

Boat: Morgan 323

Thanks for all the input, everyone. Very much appreciated. Hope everyone is doing well. Take care!
SailAwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, fishfinder