Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2020, 08:55   #1

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Standalone exterior Marine Cartplotter running Windows?

Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of a marine chartplotter for exterior use running windows 10?
Does it exist?

I'm not after replies regarding Linux or proprietary software, or workaround solutions like remote controls or similar, just like to know if anyone knows of a marine chartplotter which can be used outside with windows.
Old 26-12-2020, 10:32   #2

Re: Standalone exterior Marine Cartplotter running Windows?

A windows computer running nobletec? With a waterproof screen?

There is no such thing as a Chart plotter running windows.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 10:41   #3

Actually that's what I wondered if no-one has come up with one. Just because I or you could not find one does not mean it does not exist.

As that offers huge possibilities in as to what you can run.

Full choice of software (OpenCPN, Nobeltec, whatever you like), free choice of chart types/sources.

I could not find one, so I was wondering if someone came across one. China?

Not a laptop, more like a chartplotter but with full windows and few configurable waterproof hardware dials and keys. Daylight readable. I can see a market for it, if it's reasonably priced...
Old 26-12-2020, 11:33   #4

Boat: 31ft tank

Something like in the link below is as close as I have seen.

https://www.kcosit.com/kcosit-k86-wi...-p1333088.html
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 12:21   #5

Boat: Little Harbor 58

I use a KEP 15" marine monitor which runs as a remote display from the HP at the Nav desk. Works well for me running Trident Timezero on Windows 10. I haven't tried the Argonaut monitor which has an android software and its own nav software. https://www.argonautcomputer.com/ It runs around $1500. One thing I have found is to keep it simple. A cheap monitor will work as a remote display. You don't need touch screen, in fact if you have guests aboard, they will screw up your chart plan or choke your computer. You also won't get higher resolution than 1080x768.

My monitor is 8 years old and has contrast, brightness, and is a touch screen. I had to run RS232, power (12v) and USB for the touch. I disconnected the USB and improved the refresh rate. It has fans for cooling and sunlight readable water resistant screen.

I recommend keeping it simple, and letting the cockpit screen duplicate the computer down below in a dry place.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 12:32   #6

Hey thanks, I am aware of various solutions like yours, but as explained in my previous posts, I am looking for a "real" chartplotter running windows outside.
With several waterproof hardware diams and buttons, daylight visibility and so on.

As I did not find one yet, this thread is about finding out if anyone else has come across one... it may exist, but I have not found it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightPlan View Post
I use a KEP 15" marine monitor which runs as a remote display from the HP at the Nav desk. Works well for me running Trident Timezero on Windows 10. I haven't tried the Argonaut monitor which has an android software and its own nav software. https://www.argonautcomputer.com/ It runs around $1500. One thing I have found is to keep it simple. A cheap monitor will work as a remote display. You don't need touch screen, in fact if you have guests aboard, they will screw up your chart plan or choke your computer. You also won't get higher resolution than 1080x768.

My monitor is 8 years old and has contrast, brightness, and is a touch screen. I had to run RS232, power (12v) and USB for the touch. I disconnected the USB and improved the refresh rate. It has fans for cooling and sunlight readable water resistant screen.

I recommend keeping it simple, and letting the cockpit screen duplicate the computer down below in a dry place.
Old 26-12-2020, 14:05   #7

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Out of curiosity, is anyone aware of a marine chartplotter for exterior use running windows 10?
Does it exist?

I'm not after replies regarding Linux or proprietary software, or workaround solutions like remote controls or similar, just like to know if anyone knows of a marine chartplotter which can be used outside with windows.
You’ll have to define what you mean by “a real marine chart plotter” but assuming that your definition is more or less:

A single-purpose device in a designed for purpose enclosure and which either does not have an operating system or where the operating system is completely hidden from the user

Then I’m pretty sure the answer is “no”

Keeping costs low is important to any producer, of anything. Processing capability and storage capacity drive up costs. General purpose operating systems have a lot of functionality that is unused in a single-purpose device. Paying for processing capability to run it, and storage capacity to store it, drives up costs (or conversely lowers performance). single-purpose devices either don’t have an operating system, or have special purpose operating systems (embedded OS of various types including Android, *nix/bsd, Windows) with limited functionality designed specifically for this type of use.
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 14:52   #8

No not a single purpose device.

A windows driven, fully waterproof, daylight readable computer with few free configurable hardware buttons and dials.

Running windows and giving the user the option to run any windows software of choice and use any chartsource they want.

You can run OpenCPN or similar on there as well as weatherrouting, racing or other software you choose.

All with proper waterproof wifi, power and possibly ethernet connection.

The dials and keys replace touchscreens and mouse which tend to work not good in wet environments.

So you can end being taken hostage by hardware companies or chart providers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post
You’ll have to define what you mean by “a real marine chart plotter” but assuming that your definition is more or less:

A single-purpose device in a designed for purpose enclosure and which either does not have an operating system or where the operating system is completely hidden from the user

Then I’m pretty sure the answer is “no”

Keeping costs low is important to any producer, of anything. Processing capability and storage capacity drive up costs. General purpose operating systems have a lot of functionality that is unused in a single-purpose device. Paying for processing capability to run it, and storage capacity to store it, drives up costs (or conversely lowers performance). single-purpose devices either don’t have an operating system, or have special purpose operating systems (embedded OS of various types including Android, *nix/bsd, Windows) with limited functionality designed specifically for this type of use.
Old 26-12-2020, 15:37   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:

A windows driven, fully waterproof, daylight readable computer with few free configurable hardware buttons and dials.

Running windows and giving the user the option to run any windows software of choice and use any chartsource they want.

You can run OpenCPN or similar on there as well as weatherrouting, racing or other software you choose.

All with proper waterproof wifi, power and possibly ethernet connection.

The dials and keys replace touchscreens and mouse which tend to work not good in wet environments.

So you can end being taken hostage by hardware companies or chart providers.
Something like this?
https://teguar.com/10-inch-waterproof-pc-ts-2945-10/
Old 26-12-2020, 17:47   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlead404 View Post

This!

Why would a chart plotter manufacturer use an OS that requires:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC.

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit.
Hard disk space: 16 GB for Windows 10 32-bit, 20 GB for Windows 10 64-bit.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 18:00   #11
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

My old Furuno TimeZero plotter was running Windows... guess the new ones still do?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 18:00   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:

That is NOT a "marine chartplotter" , it's a "ruggedized" PC with additional IO devices.

Do you want a physical keyboard or would you just use the Windows OSK?

How would the "hardware buttons and dials" be configured? You'd need special Windows drivers and configuration software written specifically for them. It would need to have a large potential market to be worth the time and effort to develop them and get them certified by MS to run on Windows.

Who is going to program OpenCPN and your other plotter software to interface with those custom IO devices?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2020, 01:21   #13

Well, then it's a ruggedized PC with additional IO devices.
It does not matter how you call the thing.

The button & dial interface would need to be taking over the mouse and keyboard and the manufacturer needs to offer suitable interface to trigger the typical windows functions with them.

But hey, maybe I am thinking to complicated and we stick to the PC inside and the tablet. It's just that sometimes the touchscreen is not the real deal when it's wet.

Which is why I started to look for a "ruggedized PC with additional IO devices" and ended up calling it a windows based chartplotter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That is NOT a "marine chartplotter" , it's a "ruggedized" PC with additional IO devices.

Do you want a physical keyboard or would you just use the Windows OSK?

How would the "hardware buttons and dials" be configured? You'd need special Windows drivers and configuration software written specifically for them. It would need to have a large potential market to be worth the time and effort to develop them and get them certified by MS to run on Windows.

Who is going to program OpenCPN and your other plotter software to interface with those custom IO devices?
Old 27-12-2020, 01:22   #14

Thanks, I look into that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
My old Furuno TimeZero plotter was running Windows... guess the new ones still do?
Old 27-12-2020, 01:52   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The early Furuno TZ units were running Windows CE, not mainline Windows. Very different.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, wind