Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2019, 09:26   #1

Standard Horizon GX1270s

Looking for some help, prob know the answer as i have been running into walls. Picked up a SH vhf radio model GX1270s at our club yard sale. PO thought he'd only put in mmsi number once (radio allows 2 tries). Apparently the mmsi was input twice as it will not allow me to reset. Googled and found the following hack:

On the GX1260S (and I assume the very-similar GX1270S), remove a three-screw cover plate on the rear of the radio. With power off, move the small jumper to connect the bottom two pins. Power on while pressing Call/Set. MMSI is reset. Power off, return the jumper to its original position and replace the cover.

Sounded great but in real life didn't work. So i am reaching out to the forum if anyone has a hack or has heard of successful hack to reset mmsi on this model. Have contacted SH and they do not support this model any longer and do not have the software available to do so. Even tried to trade my new number with original owner if he could reset his new gear, unfortunately no go there (I don't blame him as once you are set up why take the chance).

Not looking for trade secrets, just wanted to make my family and boat a little safer at a much less expensive cost. Anyone????
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Standard Horizon GX1270s

If that MMSI was issued by BoatUS, you can contact them to cancel the original owner and assign the MMSI to you.

Other than that, it is now just a paper weight and you will have to buy a new radio, put in a MMSI and make that radio a paper weight.

One other option, if an option at all, is sit down with the original owner and have him contact the issuing authority and change the contact information.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 15:36   #3

Wanted to report that I just found this after a bit of desperate Googling when we re-registered our boat. And happy to report that it worked flawlessly on our old SH Intrepid+. Display blinked once while holding buttons down, after that MMSI was cleared! Saved me a new VHF or some expensive international postage to get it fixed!
tommo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 16:10   #4

I am curious, what did you find to reset the mmsi?
Old 13-11-2021, 05:55   #5

Quote:
On the GX1260S (and I assume the very-similar GX1270S), remove a three-screw cover plate on the rear of the radio. With power off, move the small jumper to connect the bottom two pins. Power on while pressing Call/Set. MMSI is reset. Power off, return the jumper to its original position and replace the cover.
Your instructions worked perfectly for my model (gx1260s / Intrepid+). I moved the jumper to the bottom pins, held both buttons to power on and the MMSI was cleared. Thanks for sharing!
tommo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:43   #6

Boat: Cheoy Lee 38
Re: Standard Horizon GX1270s/1260S

I just want to confirm that the procedure described here to reset the MMSI works perfectly on the GX1260S.

To clarify the language of the procedure a little, kill the power first, then open the little panel on the back (3 screws). The orientation of the blue jumper on my unit was up and down, relative to the unit itself, on the right side of the 4-pin jumper block as you face the back of the radio. So you turn the jumper 90 degrees and insert it on the bottom 2 pins. Hold CALL/SET button down as you power up the unit. The MMSI user setting in the menu is clear.

I may be the last person in the world who owns one that still works, but I wanted to either sell or gift this unit which is still working very well. Sadly, my 3rd CM21 RAM mic failed (just the microphone, not the speaker or anything else) and I was unable to score a replacement anywhere.

So after 21 years, I've upgraded to a GX1800G and added a RAM4+. I notice that on my old Cheoy Lee 38, the GPS works fine without the optional external antenna, so I won't need to pick up my LAT/LONG from from my Vesper XB8000 AIS via NMEA 0183 for the new GX1800G, as I did on the old Intrepid.
CaptBillJenko is offline   Reply With Quote