Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2020, 13:03   #1

Boat: Moody 425
Standard SL100 (speed/log) paddle wheel

The paddle wheel on my Standard SL100 is missing one paddle. I contacted Standard Horizon and they no longer have parts for this. I would like to be able to keep this speed/log rather than replace it since it matches my other instruments.

I can think of 2 options: 1) find a paddle wheel similar to what I have from another company; 2) use it with only 3 paddles and hope once calibrated it will be calibrated for all speeds. I think option 1 is really the best way to go. However, after searching the internet I find that no companies list the specs for their paddle wheel (at least not that I’ve been able to find).

The dimensions are
1/16” for the axle
Overall length 1 3/16” (this is from the top of one paddle to the tip of the opposite one.
Overall width 9/16”

Ideas/suggestions?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0539.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	221811
Sailing Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 13:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Standard SL100 (speed/log) paddle wheel

The entire assembly is available; I looked recently since mine died. It's a magnet/switch combination, so whose paddle wheel you used should not matter beyond the possibility of calibration. Here's the airmar version:

https://www.p2marine.com/airmar-tran...IaAqBzEALw_wcB

I have not bought one yet, but my bet is that they all came off the same assembly line somewhere in Asia.
Old 23-08-2020, 17:31   #3

Thanks. I’ll check into that.
Old 23-08-2020, 19:08   #4

After looking at that link I was able to do a search and came up with one that looks identical to mine, but there were no specs listed. I decided to order it anyway, from Amazon. If it doesn’t fit I’ll send it back. Should get it in about a week. I’ll report back as to whether it fits or not.
Old 24-08-2020, 12:02   #5

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I wanted to try different materials for my knotmeter paddlewheel so I made a dimensioned three view drawing of the wheel I had, converted it into a 3D printing file and sent it to a 3D printing house. There are quite a few online. They made up several pieces for a reasonable price. Remember to include recesses for the wheel magnets, usually 1/8 by 1/4 inch (3 X 6 mm) will do. Use nickel plated magnets and check the N/S orientation. My paddle wheel (a different configuration from yours) had 4 arms with two opposing magnets, one with N out and the other with S out.
This may seem like a lot of trouble but it is not hard if you or a friend have a proper CAD program.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:53   #6

The part I ordered came in. It fits! It’s a Raymarine paddle wheel. The axle it came with is a little too big so I’m using the old axle. I spun it by hand and I’m getting a reading. As soon as I’m back in the water I’ll calibrate it. Less than $30.

Tags
wheel