Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2024, 04:10   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Starlink conversion troubleshooting help needed!

We are installing Starlink on our boat and want it to run off the 24v house batteries. I have mounted the dishy in the flat position having disabled the tilt motors. Then cut the router end of the Starlink cable and crimped on a RJ45 ethernet plug with the wires connected to T-568B pinout. The POE injector is a Yaosheng 150W injector (model YSNEPPU15001A) specifically wired for Starlink (at least that is my understanding). The patch cable is a standard Cat 8 cable with T568B pinout. The Yaosheng is being powered by a Victron Orion Tr 24 - 48v DC/DC converter. I have tried two routers; one is a ZTE MF286 and the other is a Predict Wind Data Hub. (This is an interim measure until our Teltonika RUTX50 arrives). I cannot get an internet connection through either router. The green light on the Yaosheng is on. My Starlink app says it is online. So why can't I get either router to connect - any suggestions appreciated!!
Gnilias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 09:13   #2

Boat: Tayana 58 DS
Re: Starlink conversion troubleshooting help needed!

Is your starlink app connected to the dishy via the router?

You should connect the starlink to the WAN port on the router and tell the router that it should obtain its address via DHCP. Use a device on your LAN to verify that the router (a) thinks it has an ethernet connection on its WAN port and (b) has obtained an IP address.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 12:14   #3

Boat: Hallberg Rassy

thanks for the suggestions, Accomplice.

The starlink app says that it is connected but the router is unreachable. I've tried using the app to reboot dishy and that didn't make any difference. I'm not sure I was successful telling the router to get its address via DHCP - I selected "Enable" for the DHCP server with the default options of DHCP IP pool range from 192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200 and it didn't seem to make any difference.

Using a device to see if there is a LAN, I don't think the router does think that it has an ethernet connection.

Does this help diagnose the problem? Sorry for such basic questions...
Gnilias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2024, 13:35   #4

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

By enabling DHCP, you're enabling the DHCP server that provides LAN addresses, you're not setting the WAN port to be a DHCP client. It may or may not default that way. It will need to be configured as a DHCP client. (It may already be).

If the router doesn't believe it has a WAN ethernet connection then there may be a problem with the connection that you crimped to a RJ45/T568B connector.

FYI, there exists a Yaosheng POE adapter that accepts (a) the starlink-router-end of a standard starlink cable, (b) 24VDC input, (c) a RJ45/T568B jack. This may have been a better choice as it doesn't require crimping cables with potential problems in the process. It also enables reverting to the original starlink router if you desired.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote