Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2024, 23:41   #1

Boat: Bavaria Vision 40
Starlink - in which country to buy?

Hi all,

My boat is in Greece and I live in Switzerland. I have a c/o address in Greece. My sailing is coastal in Greece in areas with limited/no cellular reception. Weather downloads are a must and Netflix at anchor is something we like to do in the evenings.

I am thinking of ordering the standard dish and a "Mobile Regional" service. Price of unit and subscription is not different between Greece and Switzerland, just worried (or actually don't know) that if I order to Switzerland, Starlink will change my service to a higher cost of Mobile or Mobile Priority which, at the moment, I do not need or want.

Can anyone please help me understand what best to do.

Cheers
AJAL
Old 13-01-2024, 00:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Starlink - in which country to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAL View Post
Hi all,

My boat is in Greece and I live in Switzerland. I have a c/o address in Greece. My sailing is coastal in Greece in areas with limited/no cellular reception. Weather downloads are a must and Netflix at anchor is something we like to do in the evenings.

I am thinking of ordering the standard dish and a "Mobile Regional" service. Price of unit and subscription is not different between Greece and Switzerland, just worried (or actually don't know) that if I order to Switzerland, Starlink will change my service to a higher cost of Mobile or Mobile Priority which, at the moment, I do not need or want.

Can anyone please help me understand what best to do.

Cheers
AJAL
i think for you is best.
MOBILE
REGIONAL
Best for RVers, campers, and travelers throughout a continent
100 EUR/MO

PAY AS YOU GO
Pause and un-pause service at any time. Billing is in one-month increments, allowing you to customize your service to your individual travel needs.
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2024, 00:50   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Starlink - in which country to buy?

If you send the equipment to Switzerland you would theoretically have to import in into the EU customs zone, paying VAT again...

Besides that, as long as you stay on the same continent the are only two things:
- home address (=where the item is sent to), here you are eligible for the "residential" service, which is a little cheaper
- rest of continent, here you need to buy mobile regional

If you go too far away from the coast, you need mobile priority, but I don't think this will be a problem in Greece.

If you have a "home" marina where you spend a considerable time and you want to use starlink there, use this as your address, otherwise it doesn't matter.

You can also easily change your address within the same country without problem. To change country is also possible, but requires a little bit more work.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote