Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2024, 04:41   #31

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Starlink Mini

I'm guessing - key word - that the mini will be much like the standard. Many cruisers have the standard and use it in the Bahamas.

I mean the whole purpose of the darn thing is to be able to take it with you wherever you go.

Per their website here...

https://www.starlink.com/us/roam

"Stay connected on the go, no matter how remote."

I will let you know in January when I get to the Bahamas !

Old 28-07-2024, 04:56   #32

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32
Re: Starlink Mini

BTW, I have bought one - just got it in fact - and used it on my boat in the marina with no issues. Of course that is not a big deal.

What may be of interest is that I powered it using a simple cigarette style adapter cord with the 5521 barrel end plug. Power consumption seemed to average about 2-3 amps. I had a chromebook running a YouTube video while I was checking this.

I took a short piece of 1.5" PVC and hose clamped it to a stanchion. The mini comes with a pipe adapter that fits it almost perfectly. I'll probably come up with a more permanent solution, but then again it worked great and is simple and cheap. And it could double as a fishing rod holder !

Also of note I have the 50GB plan at $50/mo. After about an hour of total time playing around - and it downloaded an update during that time - I checked and had used 1.2 gigs. I also made about a 5 minute wi-fi call during that time.

Download speeds averaged around 100 mbps and upload about 10 mbps.

What I hoping to use it for is just checking weather, emails, bank accounts, etc., and the ability to call home. I have no interest in streaming TV or movies. I have a Mint Mobile plan at $15/mo. So if all goes well I can stay connected - at the level I want - for only $65/mo.

We shall see...