Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2022, 08:31   #1

Boat: FP Astrea 42 #164
Starlink RV Installations

Team,

I searched, but didn't see any threads with Starlink RV kit installs. Let's see them!

I just received the kit and think I'll use the 'pipe adaptor' accessory from Starlink to mount on a fabricated, 2.5" SS tube mounted somewhere on the aft edge of the cockpit bimini.

Additionally, I'm curious as to influence of obstruction interferrence from the mast. I assume I'll want to use the traveler to move the boom out of the view.

Any success or struggles to share ?
Funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 08:53   #2

Boat: J/42
Re: Starlink RV Installations

I am still using it in stock configuration, just sitting on the foredeck.

The eventual plan is to install a J-mount on the outside of the solar arch.

This morning it occurred to me that the long cable might be a problem - there is no disconnect on the dish end. Routing the large chunky right-angle plug on the modem end through the structure of the boat (e.g. arch tubing) won't be easy. And once routed, there will be no easy way to dismount the dish.
Unless one cuts the cable and installs some sort of (hopefully weatherproof) plug & socket.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 09:13   #3

Boat: FP Astrea 42 #164

Starlink sells a 150' replacement cable that 'appears' to have a flexible connector at one end. This might aid the cable fishing...

https://shop.starlink.com/products/u...ent-cable-gen2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
This morning it occurred to me that the long cable might be a problem - there is no disconnect on the dish end. Routing the large chunky right-angle plug on the modem end through the structure of the boat (e.g. arch tubing) won't be easy. And once routed, there will be no easy way to dismount the dish.
Unless one cuts the cable and installs some sort of (hopefully weatherproof) plug & socket.
Funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 10:34   #4

Boat: J/42

OK, I was wrong - the cable does unplug from the dishy end, once the base is removed, and that end does straighten out. Apparently I'd forgotten the initial unpacking.

For now, I'm stowing everything under the v-berth every time we leave the dock. A permanent installation will be much less hassle.

For some reason, it took several tries to get the system back up after taking it apart.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2022, 10:31   #5

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'
I ordered ours today (Florida shipping address - forwarded to Aruba.)

I'm planning on using a fishing rod holder temporarily to test, them permanent install aft of solar array.

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation

« VPN | VHF alarm »