Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2022, 07:52   #16

Boat: Building myself... FTW
Re: Starlink + T-Mobile: A new option for global messaging?

Thanks I thought it was a weight issue... might work out on schedule

Do you have any clarity on the the PTP between the satellites?
I was thinking the the bandwidth available over all that empty water was going to be dominated by the PTP backhauls between the land masses.
I thought this backhaul was needed to make up for the number of supported "clients" for a given area.

This may also be fixed with the v2 but I thought the overall architecture limitation was going to be made up for with more satellites.

I only check implementation details once a system is deployed
No matter in the near future we will all have our little sliver of personal satellite access.
I can't believe the ratio of capability to empathy in this world.
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 08:13   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee 52, Lancer 39, Paradox 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdgWesternMass View Post
I was thinking the the bandwidth available over all that empty water was going to be dominated by the PTP backhauls between the land masses.

I would guess the transoceanic PTP bandwidth (ie inter satellite laser link bandwidth) would match or even exceed the Ka/Ku band bandwidth (satellite to/from earth), so bandwidth performance at sea should rival or exceed that on land
Seafarer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 09:02   #18

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Thought I read where bandwidth would be 4Mbps +/-... so good for everything except data.
Old 26-08-2022, 09:12   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 349

It want specific but it seems that these satellites likely won’t cover the middle of the ocean and will be deployed over time. I think normal starlink may still be the way to go.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 09:22   #20

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
It want specific but it seems that these satellites likely won’t cover the middle of the ocean and will be deployed over time. I think normal starlink may still be the way to go.
It's certainly got OUR vote after our recent 2,900 mile trip to Glacier Bay and back!

Full disclosure: We lost the use of Starlink North of Petersburg AK, just about where they advertised we'd lose service, but most, if not all of Alaska is supposed to be covered either the end of this year or early next year according to Starlink. Real game changer for Wx reports, generally connectivity for us . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 10:10   #21

Boat: 2009 Lagoon 440 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Ground based cell frequencies are not the same as space based frequencies. I suspect that current phones will not work with this new service. One may have to purchase a cell phone that has the technology to operate in the space based frequency band.

I wouldn't get too overly excited yet.
Quote:
T-Mobile says that subscribers’ current phones will be able to utilize the network — no special equipment required. As Elon Musk said in the announcement: “the phone you currently have will work.”
Sounds like the satellites that will work for this will have 5-6 meter antennas and are using an existing mid-band PCS spectrum that T-Mobile is already using.

T-Mobile also mentioned that they are planning for a limited Beta by the end of NEXT year, so unless I'm reading it wrong it will be a while before it even goes into beta.
Jenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2022, 10:36   #22

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenta View Post
Sounds like the satellites that will work for this will have 5-6 meter antennas and are using an existing mid-band PCS spectrum that T-Mobile is already using.

T-Mobile also mentioned that they are planning for a limited Beta by the end of NEXT year, so unless I'm reading it wrong it will be a while before it even goes into beta.
It looks like they're making this a public thing so they can start getting other international carriers on board. The spectrum wars are just getting started it seems.

Makes me wonder how long until we just make some spectrum public, and set global regulations on how you use them. Probably a better option than the patchwork mess we have going on now.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 06:31   #23

I found this video interesting from the Mobile Internet Resource Center YouTube channel, titled: T-Mobile Starlink Partnership – “Coverage Above & Beyond” Aims To Eliminate Dead Zones

Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2022, 06:37   #24

Boat: Building myself... FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
Thought I read where bandwidth would be 4Mbps +/-... so good for everything except data.

When I was young we needed 3Mbps to move a full frame 640x480 video.

Everything I have heard since the announcement makes everything way more speculative than I thought.

It seems like we need a new satellite to fit in the existing rocket or new rocket to fit the existing satellite...

Does the V2 satellite exist?
bdgWesternMass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 07:17   #25

Boat: Taswell 43

As a new TMobile customer, very interesting. following. Starlink looked really good,as several sailors have commented on other blogs, but this may be even better?
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 08:55   #26

Tmobile is in many countries in fact it is not a us carrier
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:34   #27

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
They specifically said that each cell would have a bandwidth of 3-4mbs but that would be shared between all connections on that cell and that the cells are quite big. Therefore this is only a text based service for asynchronous usage atm.

Also to previous point, they also said it would work with current phones.
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2022, 10:47   #28

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Also this week Google announced that Android version 14, coming next year (13 was just released), will support satellite services. It seems StarLink services will require 14, and that would in turn require either a recent phone or more likely a new phone. (They are not likely going to go back and modify the radio firmware on older phones in order to support this - the manufacturers almost always force the sale of newer phones.)

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 12:25   #29

Boat: Halcyon 27

I would be extremely wary of going for Starlink, over the existing options.
Starlink have an absolutely atrocious customer service record, ie NONE.
Their feedback is packed with angry and frustrated early adopters.
Curryfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 14:26   #30

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryfrog View Post
I would be extremely wary of going for Starlink, over the existing options.
Starlink have an absolutely atrocious customer service record, ie NONE.
Their feedback is packed with angry and frustrated early adopters.
Owning a Starlink system and having dealt with Starlink's Customer service on multiple occasions, I can say that they most certainly do have customer support, and they responded quickly. Compared to say, Garmin's support for the Inreach (which after dealing with I promptly canceled) Starlink support is pretty good.

I am highly critical of both Starlink, and more so of those that hail Starlink as the cure to all connectivity ills. But to be factual, they have decent customer support, and provide a service that works better than other services in some remote areas.

The T-mobile announcement is the natural course for 5G to go, having been conceived of and put in the 5G specification many years ago. I'll probably get it (I'm a T-mobile customer also) but I am not expecting it to replace my Iridium Go anytime soon. Note, that even as a Starlink customer, I am still not ready to give up my Iridium Go! They are different products, with different features, targeting different markets. And Unless you are ready to put down $5000 per month, the Iridium Go! or SSB are still the only device that will get you gribs in the middle of the ocean.

The Inreach, Spot, Go, PLBs, and EPIRBS, are all connected to SAR systems to track you during a Mayday situation. No cell phone is, nor will a cell phone hold up in a Liferaft with saltwater in it. And phones don't float. Great for comms, not so great for SOS. Someday, I'm sure that a new device will replace the Inreach et. al. that uses the Starlink satellites. Just like Inreach piggybacks on Iridium Satellites. It isn't a new model, just new players. But that someday isn't today and pricing isn't announced, so I am not getting excited about it.

Tags
mob