Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2023, 06:23   #1

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
Starlink's definition of "ocean"

Hi all,

Jumping off a thread I started about remote boat monitoring, I'm curious which of the new Starlink plans are good for coastal cruising the US East Coast. We have a 2021 Starlink RV dishy that we activate seasonally for cruising.

When these plans say "not for ocean use" I'm wondering how they define "ocean"... is it 1 mile from shore... 20 miles from shore?

Does anyone have any insight into the cheapest plan that would work well for coastal cruising New England?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-28 091811.png
Views:	73
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	277429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-06-28 091838.png
Views:	68
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	277430  

Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:27   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Starlink's definition of "ocean"

Nobody can link to it directly but if you go here and search for "ocean" you can see SpaceX definitions.

https://support.starlink.com/

Quote:
Land: All areas labeled as "Available", "Waitlist", or "Coming Soon" on the Starlink Availability Map are considered land regions. Regional Mobile plans can be used on land within your continent (see continent map), while Global Mobile plans can be used on land anywhere Starlink has service around the world.

Ocean: All areas colored as black on the Starlink Availability Map are considered ocean regions, including islands unless they are labeled "Available", "Waitlist", or "Coming Soon". Only Mobile Priority Data can be used on the ocean, including on these unlabeled islands. Use in local territorial waters, is contingent on government approval.

Short version is "land" is any non-black hex on the availability map which includes most but not all of the chesapeake bay. Includes all inland waterways (except parts of great lakes). Also includes essentially all anchorages, marinas, coastal waters, etc.

Note the quote in your screenshot is vague to the point of being misleading. Mobile Regional DOES work in ocean (black) hexes but you need to enable pay as you $2/GB for priority data. It would be a lot clearer if they had worded it to say "By default mobile regional does not work in ocean however you can opt into priority data as needed to enable ocean access".

If you are cruising coastally in New England almost certainly the cheapest plan is going to be Regional Mobile ($150) and opting in to the $2/GB Priority Data ONLY for the infrequent brief periods you move into a black hex. Alternatively don't opt in accept you will be temporarily without service and it will auto-resume when you get back to a non-black hex.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:33   #3

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Thanks, Statistical. That's super helpful. I didn't think they'd spell it out on a map since, as you said, it seemed intentionally vague.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 06:42   #4

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Thanks, Statistical. That's super helpful. I didn't think they'd spell it out on a map since, as you said, it seemed intentionally vague.
Despite SpaceX being terrible at communicating anything the map has proven surprisingly accurate.

I do wish they had a dedicated marine map though with slightly better color scheme because seeing the coverage lines vs land is tough in places. Also doesn't apply in your situation but Starlink doesn't work in notational waters of any country that has prohibited it (i.e. Cuba, Turkey, China, Venezuela). Would be nice to have a map with that explicitly marked not just implied.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote