Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 21:54   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Std GX2200 - No Voice Modulation

I have a Standard Horizon GX2200 and it transmits what appears to be a very strong signal, but no voice... I have the RAM3 mic as well and using either one has the same result. Other nearby stations can pick up the hot mic but no other sound. Have tried factory reset as well as unplugging the RAM3 wiring from the back Receiving is fine. (including AIS)..

Any hints before I put down another half a boat buck would be appreciated.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 07:55   #2

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Std GX2200 - No Voice Modulation

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You key the mic and the radio transmits a carrier. So that means the mic's keying function is working. But there is no audio on the receiving side. That tells me either the pin in the radio side connector is not making contact with the mic connector, or the input amplifier is faulty. Check to make sure all the pins on the radio side connector are flush with each other and no pin is pushed back. If the pins are split (some are) you can insert a thin blade screw driver and open them a wee bit. Be careful.

-added- Silly me. SH do not use mic connectors. There mics are permanently attached to the radio so if the mic goes bad the whole radio needs to be sent in for service. What idiot designed that? So strike #1 above. Sorry about that.

2. The second possibility is you are not keying on the correct frequency. If that was the case the receiving side would not hear your carrier. But it is still a possibility. Check the mode on your radio to ensure you are using the correct US or Intl frequency format.

If you are testing on all channels and you hear nothing then it is probably #1 above.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 14:42   #3

Boat: Passport 41
Re: Std GX2200 - No Voice Modulation (Resolved)

Brian, awesome thank you -

I did more troubleshooting and ultimately resolved this - I believe you comment about the amplifier is correct. I was worried about the newly installed antenna and wiring on the mast, but I knew the AIS was working OK but not great. I installed my AIS management software, and low and behold, VSWR was 3.5-4.0, that's not good. Perhaps the radio was clipping transmission because of that. Replaced two non-solder connectors with soldered ones.. VSWR to 1.6, wow, nice!

Unfortunately, radio still wouldn't transmit anything but the carrier (although DSC hailing worked) . Because *both* the RAM-3 remote mic and the faceplate attached mic did not work, I was somewhat convinced it was in fact the amplifier.

Bit the bullet and got a replacement gx2200 (only because i have the remote mic..). Back in business now. Will likely send the old one in for repairs and sell it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Two possibilities come to mind.

1. You key the mic and the radio transmits a carrier. So that means the mic's keying function is working. But there is no audio on the receiving side. That tells me either the pin in the radio side connector is not making contact with the mic connector, or the input amplifier is faulty. Check to make sure all the pins on the radio side connector are flush with each other and no pin is pushed back. If the pins are split (some are) you can insert a thin blade screw driver and open them a wee bit. Be careful.

-added- Silly me. SH do not use mic connectors. There mics are permanently attached to the radio so if the mic goes bad the whole radio needs to be sent in for service. What idiot designed that? So strike #1 above. Sorry about that.

2. The second possibility is you are not keying on the correct frequency. If that was the case the receiving side would not hear your carrier. But it is still a possibility. Check the mode on your radio to ensure you are using the correct US or Intl frequency format.

If you are testing on all channels and you hear nothing then it is probably #1 above.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 16:27   #4

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Kudos. Glad you are back on the air.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2020, 10:53   #5

Standard Horizon did have a 3 yr. warrantee and after warrantee repair was a flat $65 cost. Not sure if that is still the case but worth a call.

Brian
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote